Ultimate Subaru Message Board

best clutch for ea81

I've always been a fan of the OEM clutch kits. They include new, not remanufactured: disk, pressure plate, release bearing and pilot bearing. I paid $122.28 the last time I got one. I would also recommend getting a new Release bearing holder. They get a lot of ware, where they contact the clutch fork.

yeah I think I know what your talking about. I know the area you are talking about.

I have dealt with "B and A friction" at my current job all the time. probably a different place than your talking about.

my regular source is a parts store I used to work for. they get good import parts from a company called IMC out of So. cal. really good prices and quality too.

hey russ,

cool, can ya get me a quote for a clutch kit for my 82 GLW (4spd 4wd w/ d/r)?

I'll try an give you a call later today, would like to order ASAP.........

also, maybe we can take care of thar rear bearring project if & when we hook up??

thx

shanonsf

I too am having the same dillema, my '84 Wagon burned up the last of it's clutch this weekend. In taking in the above recommendations I've found this;

thepartsbin.com has a clutch kit for $125, but it appears to be only the disc, pressure plate and pilot bearing. Does anyone know if the release bearing is indeed included?

1stsubaruparts.com has individual parts listed, but not clutch "kits", am I over looking it on thier site?

Does anyone have a link for someone else to buy the OEM kit from?

Thanks!

I got a clutch for my EA81 1982 Brat from a source on Ebay. It works great.....and will work even better once I get my head gasket replaced. :-)

I paid $30 for the clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing. That was a steal from ebay. But give them a call and perhaps they can give you a great deal. This was the ebay listing info. Good luck.

Clutch fits 81-92 Subaru - 1600/1800 DL GL ... 81-89 Brat ... 85-94 Leone, Loyale (2 WD non turbo) ... 85-91 XT (2 WD non turbo) ... kit includes disc, pressure plate, bearings, and alignment tool ... only Fort Wayne Clutch can offer this remanufactured clutch at below cost with one year warranty ... any questions call Fort Wayne Clutch toll free at 1-800-258-8243 and mention kit #15-001 or visit their website at fortwayneclutch.com ... we have clutches for all vehicles - auto, truck, industrial, and antique ... also custom made driveshafts and heavy duty clutches ... we can rebuild your antique clutch ... Buyer will pay shipping and payment can be made by pay pal, money order, or check ... Thanks for looking!

In 84 maybe 83, subaru swtich from a 8 inch to a 9 inch clutch disk and pressure plate on the EA81s with 4wd. So what you would have to do is aquire a flywheel from an 84 with 4wd replace your existing one with it then order a clutch kit for an 84 with 4wd.

Yes - I can say with certainty that the 82 bell-housing will accept the 225mm 83+ 4WD clutch. The 200mm flywheel is the same size, just with a 25mm smaller opening for the clutch disc and PP.

BTW - you DO NOT want the 200mm clutch with big tires and a lift. I found this out the hard way. It slips VERY bad. The 225mm slips too, but is much better.

GD