Ultimate Subaru Message Board

80 gl 1600 4wd 130k

mikaleda

this is my 1980 gl 1600 4wd

DSCI0323.jpg

0623121548b.jpg

0623121548a.jpg

0623121548.jpg

this car only has 130k on it but it needs some work i have already rewired it for the most part, did a tune up, put a c.v in it, rebuilt the oil pump, and am in the process of doing brakes. before i am going to be anywhere close to done with this thing i will have to replace radiator, flush the system, put new struts and shocks, manuel choke and it will be my daily driver until i get my legacy going again. :D

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

yes i have figured out trans it is just a single range. the cyclops light i have not messed with it since i just spent close to $400 bucks on monroe shocks and kyb struts when i am done with that it should handle way better

after the suspension blues i am hoping to get the rebuild kit for my carb today and start working on that :cool: after that i am going to start patching up the drivers side floor board and then it will be on to rear brakes:brow:

i will try and get some more pics of it with new struts and shocks ;)

u going to do a rear disk brake conversion:brow:?i though your tranny was only single range from the way it sat when it was in 2wd in the pic in the other thread. i got my carb. rebuild kits from napa they have the 1600 still:headbang:and of coarse i got one for my 1800 85 brat dual range 4speed and t-tops with 14in peugeots with jap. imported tranny and motor:headbang:

Nice i like the 85 brats those are neat little subies

i haven't had a chance to look at the damage on my rear brakes yet, but i probably will convert to disc eventually. i got a hygrade rebuild kit from rockauto it was $17 total with shipping and everything :headbang:. just ordered mounting kit and boots for my struts today and just got the new bolts for my shocks yesterday. i can hardly wait until i get all the new suspension parts in and the rebuilt carb in and see what this car can do. when i do get this running i will make sure to get some pics on some trails up here :lol:

Edited by mikaleda

here are some more pics

DSCI0335.jpg

DSCI0337.jpg

DSCI0338.jpg

DSCI0339.jpg

the original hatch shocks still work kinda and the piece of galvie tin in the back is to patch the rot in my floor board

DSCI0342.jpg

i even found some of the original tools

DSCI0341.jpg

this is the first car i have ever seen that the rear windows roll all the way down :headbang:

Edited by mikaleda

It must be an '80-'82 thing, as my '83 has the safety windows which don't roll completely down.

A lot of vehicles have rear windows which roll down all the way (Landcruiser, S-10 Blazer, Tahoe) ect.. Subaru was to child focused even in the 80s lol :cool:

New KYBs look good.

i see u got a factory tool kit nice:cool:i have one to but it came from a 78 brat, i also have the owners manual and factory service manual:headbang:i highly recommend u get a factory service manual for it, it has everything it even has a diagram to how to fix your third eye:cool:

sweet where would i get a factory service manual?

ebay i was very lucky to find one at powells in portland oregon for $10:headbang: heres some on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Subaru-1600-1800-Service-Repair-Shop-Manual-SET-FACTORY-OEM-BOOKS-RARE-82-/400310579390?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item5d345eb0be&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-Subaru-1600-1800-Factory-Dealer-Service-Manual-Engine-Body-/140622182211?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item20bdbc3743&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-SUBARU-1600-1800-ENGINE-BODYSHOP-SERVICE-MANUAL-SUPPLEMENT-/360430884094?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item53eb5ad4fe&vxp=mtr

i would get this one if i were u it was published in 1980 but any year published would work i have 1979 edition and i have a 85 and it has every thing i need besides the body stuff for the brat but has every body style diagram and how to assemble it i tore apart every thing on a 86 brat so i know where every thing to go:headbang:

• Like 1

finished putting my shocks in and put my carb back in i had to just repair it because i got the wrong kit. with as much improvement as i got with just new rear shocks i can't wait to see what kind of improvement new struts will make. carb is working way better thinking of either putting an ea82 carb on or just getting a weber, either way it is going to have to wait for a while. i will be getting my mounting and boot kits on Tuesday or Wednesday and have my struts installed by Friday hopefully. i can hardly wait until i get this fixed i want to go offroading with it when it is :popcorn:

yes, i reserched and my rear shocks are monroe i have a limited lifetime warranty through napa. i'm not sure if they would still have a warranty through rock auto or not though. my kyb struts are part #234028 gr2 gas replacement limited lifetime warranty i spent $220 for the set. i had to buy mounting kits and boot kits also for the tune of $106 from rockauto but, defiantly worth it now i can safely drive this car once i install these parts.:burnout:

that looks like the same kit i got. the problem i had was i thought i bought a rebuild kit for my 80 but it ended up being a repair kit for a newer model but the parts were the same and they worked, i got mine from rock auto though. i know i went into napa and they had an actual rebuild kit for $35.

Edited by mikaleda

my strut mounting kits and boot kits were in the mail today but i got to the post office one minuet late for pick up. :mad: so frustrating, so close i could have had my struts in today. i laid rubber on the way home carb is working good :-p

i have quit using my local napa the management has changed and i don't like the treatment i get from them. i have been going to napa since i was ten (when i used to go there with my dad) and never have gotten any breaks on prices (except one or two free tail lights) , being the local backyard mechanic i am in the parts store at least twice a week. :lol: i know what you mean about screwing up orders they constantly do that to me.

i am going to federated auto :clap: much better customer service and way better parts. i don't mind oriellys but i only use the ngk plugs and wix filters on my cars and they are less expensive at my local federated auto store as are all the quality parts i use. i do go to oriellys for parts sometimes the only reason i don't use them more is they are to far away, its an extra forty mile drive to the closest one to me

Edited by mikaleda

carquest and napa are only 1-2 miles from my house there basicly across the street from each other, o-rileys is about 12 miles from my house do most of my parts at carquest because every one knows me and my dad there and plus there is a guy there who owned a 82 brat dl hard top that i like to talk to and show pictures to but also go to napa and o-rileys to compare prices

thats cool i miss my old auto parts store it was like that but i moved and had to start using a differant one. i have been going there for a few years and they still don't know me by name. i have been in and out of federated auto for a few years and they already know me by name :D.