Ultimate Subaru Message Board

80 gl 1600 4wd 130k

mikaleda

I'm lucky I have a nice neighbor that is going to help me, he is a retired welder fabricator and he has the steel, the tools and the knowledge to fix it. I just have to do the prep work and trade material for grunt work, :grin: that's no biggie for me.

Edited by mikaleda

So I'm going to be getting some Peugeot rims from a neighbor in a couple weeks. I have a choice, I can get alluminum alloy or steels both are 14's. I'm thinking of getting the steel rims since I want this to be mud rig but, I like the looks of the alloys. I'm torn on wich ones to get :(

Okay I flipped the strut tops around since I found I had them in backwards :banghead: and that helped with the binding I was having. I fixed the overheating problem that I was having now it rides just a hair above where it used to but that's not a big deal. I have the heater core disconnected since its missing the valve :rolleyes: and I have the old V.R. Holding the seat up. I will be taking this down to the neighbors today and see what we can do to fix the floor boards :P oh and I'll try and get some pics of the under cairage.

picture update

undercarriage

22623A2F-FBC0-44DC-80B7-44DB1DBF5BD0-9988-0000022609905888_zps5d89f882.jpg

885A955A-3B17-4F07-A1F2-A38B6F1BD328-9988-0000022613DB1E2C_zpsc68fa2ab.jpg

i just found this today as i was breaking loose the bolts on the rear end to do the bearings (which i successfully did) it doesn't seem to make my tire sit funny but, i'm afraid to try and straighten it out in case i can't get the bolt holes lined up again.

404F867E-68D8-48AF-B840-C2546ED5A13E-9988-00000226511907C8_zpsa668e00b.jpg

466252DA-5FF9-4556-90B7-1CD5F2CBF3E5-9988-000002264A21534F_zps08abd965.jpg

Well I got the ps bearing apart and out having a hard time getting the new race in, I'm going to have to take it down to the neighbor that has a press and press it in. Fun fun fun until daddy takes the gl away :grin: just a little stab at humor there :lol:

Edited by mikaleda

Update; I got the P.S. wheel bearing in and it seems to be doing better, but I could not get the D.S. axel nut off. Damn thing is seized on there so bad I was afraid I was going to break the 3/4 inch breaker bar I borrowed, I had a 4 foot cheater on it, jumping on it (I weigh 260 lbs) and it wouldn't budge at all.

i use a a wrench whatever size the axle nut is with a 8ft crow bar then i get it so the crow bar holds the hub in place then i put the wrench on and give it a few hard quick stomps with my foot, somehow this has worked great for me everytime but i have a filling its rusted on. have you tried tightening it to make it break loose?(i wouldn't sugest that but i have done it a few times if it will not loosen). spray it with something good that will penatrate rust and that will help you hopefully.

Ya I've tried tightening it a little to break it loose, it wouldn't move. I even got it as hot as I could with my p.o.s torch and tried, but I got nothing. My last resort is taking it down to the neighbor that has cutting torches and have him heat it up red hot and try and break it loose while its still hot.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump! And I found out why my front end is making noise, it's bad bushings on the stabilizer bar? I guess that's what you call it, but I was crawling around under there and grabbed one and heard it clunk so I checked them out and their definatly hard and deformed. Not sure when I'm going to fix those, but I'm not in a hurry.

Also I found out theat my oil pump hasn't been filtering the oil since before I got this car so this p.o.s ea71 is going to get thrashed when I go mudding in the near future.

Ea81 and a dual range trans is in the future for this car, along with rear disc breaks.

Yay, I got my parts car, it has an ea71 with Hla's and a good single range trans, it even has nice drivers side seat! What a score best $100 I've ever spent.

And with that I'm going to bed because I smashed my wrist with a 2x10 loading it on the trailer. :P I'll get some pics in the morning.

I love my new drivers seat what a score, I also scored another set of thirteens and a set of fourteen steel rims, new engine looks clean and new trans seems to be in good shape. I've already started swapping parts, I now have a drivers side mirror again and a new heater with control valve :grin: I can hardly wait to start working on my wagon.

I'm going to start up the new motor tomorrow if a get a chance and check it out, get it ready to swap in. Weird thing about this motor is it looks like a Hal block but an 80 manifold with a seventys coil and distributor :confused: I'll look more into it tomorrow

Okay here's a pic of my new parts car,

C39D9B86-CE92-4CF8-90A2-540ADF552484-984

I started it up and it runs, but since it doesn't even have headers I didn't let it run long. I'm going to put it in my car and I'm going to change the distributor so It matches my coil and so that I have electronic ignition, I hate points.

• Like 1

Ya I was surprised how nice it was, I would try and fix it up a little and make a little offroader with it, but I'm not allowed to keep it. I hate scraping one of these older subies, but at least the parts are going to a good cause.