Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fix for a stuck axle rol pin

So a month ago I was at the junk yard pulling a 5spd D/R trans for my ej swap when the punch I was using to remove the roll pin got jammed inside of the roll pin. After several minutes of trying to get the punch out I decided to just disassemble the axle leaving the inner cup still on the transmission. when I got home I still could not get the punch out of the pin. So I took it over to sube101's shop and he just got out his slide hammer found a spare bolt that would thread into the end of the slide hammer and then tack welded the head of the bolt to the punch screwed the slide hammer on and with a few tugs it popped right out with the roll pin. Just thought I would share this fix because it can be annoying finding yourself dealing with this little but very annoying problem. And I was lucky it was on a trans that was out of the car all though if you can get enough room to tack the bolt while its still in the car then it should still work. Thanks and hopefully this will help someone if this happens to them. :cool:

That's a really good idea! I've been through that with a used transmission I bought, it was a real pain. I wish I'd thought of this, because I have a welder.

Also, I bet it could be done in car, there's a decent amount of access from the bottom. It would be a bit tight using the slide hammer, but definitely doable.

Great tip! Thanks.

If you can find a really skinny drill bit or something similar, you may be able to gently tap your punch out from the far side, as well. I recommend using something too skinny to jam, as it may break off...(and do be gentle, tug on the stuck part with another tool if needed). Glad it came out! Been there, done that, would be happy to never deal with it again.

PS--If it doesn't come out by either method, use bad words, that seems to help.

yeah, i have been using the non sharp side of a drill bit for 3 years now, never had one break, its made of hardened steel, and its the same diameter as the hole in the axle, so it will never fit inside the roll pin. find the right diameter one you need (i forget mine, it was a junk bit i found at work) and use it, if it is still a good one, then use it and buy yourself a new bit to replace it, so at least you have a sharp bit to drill with.

my dad had that problem the roll pin is stuck in still but hes selling the car and telling the person good luck who buys it because he broke a ton of punches on it snap-on, craftsman, s-k, and harbor freight using different hammers dead blow, regular hammer, sledge, and ball ping but nothing worked he broke around 20 punches and gave up. and he had the motor out when he was doing this:-\