Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lifting Subaru GL

TrevHow'l

Hi I'm new here and could not find where to search for this as I'm sure its been talked about already. So here it is. Defer me with a link or re-answer please.

I just bought a 1989 Subaru GL and have heard that it is possible to lift it using Forester coils. My questions are: Would I need or want to use the struts as well assuming it is possible? How much would it potentially lift the vehicle? And are there any other Subaru's that could lift it more than the Forester?

I want a moderate or better lift and am considering getting 15" wheels as well (I'm assuming I would want and need them). After some researching I couldn't find much on the how to do this but man I found some videos that make me feel like I NEED to do this. The car has 130,000 miles on it and runs great. It already needs struts on the left side so this just seems like fate.

Thanks for the info/help.

The easiest way to search for things is go to google, prefix any search like so:

site:ultimatesubaru.org forester spring on ea strut

Forester struts would not fit without doing a 5 lug swap, not sure about the springs on an EA strut. Its common to lift imprezas with forester springs/struts however.

Maybe you just need an SJR lift kit? Or fab up something similar.