Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86' GL Rear Wheel bearings

So I have a delima,

I have found the pictorial for wheel bearing replacement in the manual here, and it was very well done....Kudos...

Problem is, I have nothing of my bearings left to go by in find replacements. I have the outer bearing left kind of in tact, the inner bearing is well....shrapnel...the seals are gone or undetectable as seals. I think the inner part of the inner bearing is still stuck on the stub shaft...???

I have checked NAPA, Baxters, and online sources and can not get a straight answer or at least one that is not a bewildered response. All the images show a one piece bearing replacement which looks like it could press in to the hub. My problem with that and question I ask is, is that a sealed unit? Do I still need the seals? Well sure they will sell me the seals too but...

The other issue is some are listed for "Rear, inner" but same image...??

I have the arm/hub pulled and pics of what is left on the shaft I can upload at some point. I have just moved and lost my DSL, now on crappy dial up so no network or con to work from but can make it happen.

I just need a direction to start in as far as getting the right parts.

As all us Subie pilots, I am broke as it is and can not spin my wheels on the wrong parts and such....

Preciate any help here?!?!?

Thanx

PS

I am stuck driving my 82 Toy PU and it is killing me on gas, plus, I have had this Subie since 94 and it is only about 3k from hitting 300k ;) I have got to make that happen :D

Edited by asis

The rear wheel bearings come as "one" unit as the inner and outer bearing a housed in one outer race. This race gets pressed into the trailing arm, then the bearings, inner and outer grease seals and the stub shaft. There is also the threaded lock ring on the backside that needs to be taken off which I believe the inner grease seal is housed in.

Hey GD, good to see you still around! You still at the same place?

Well 297,797 miles and at least it is mobile again. It aint right and I will be in the market for a new trailing arm at some point. I have had issues with that left rear since I bought the thing in 1994. It started with the brake locking up at some points, usually when stopping in reverse. Never could figure it out and could not get the hub off for another unknown reason. It would eventually free up and not happen again for some time. About 6 years ago it really started locking up. Tried again to get the hub off with not luck so my daughter and I (she was 6 at the time) headed back from Longview to La Center via the back roads . About 1/3 of the way home the brake self cleared and self destructed. Well at least now I could get the hub off. So I pulled the parts out, slapped the hub back on but had no way to plug the brake line, so the rest of the way was Ebrake only :popcorn: Coming down green mountain into woodland was a bit of a rush, but :cool: we made it home uneventful.

Come to find out or theorize at least, that the drum had worn so much that the brake pads would actually bind up in the drum. There was a groove worn in the drum deep enough that the pads would not clear to let it come off. I took out all the brake parts, capped the brake line and went back to motoring.

About 4 years ago I was heading to work over the hills on the back roads to Woodland and lo and behold I feel a thunk, scraaaaaaaape, and watch my rear tire pass me off into the woods. :brow: I had to look for the tire for about an hour...found it about half mile down the hill in some thickets.

I had a set of hubs so had it carried home and put another hub on and have been driving it like that since then.

Back to present day, I must have been given one wrong seal. I did get a large and smaller one, but the larger one did not fit "inside" either the outer or inside the nut. The smaller one did fit inside the outer flange, but the outer flange is also flared out likely from driving it with the inner bearing in shrapnel mode. So for now I have no rear seal.

I bet it gets me another 2003 miles and I really should think about letting it go to it's final rest. It just does have a lot of sentimental attachment... I bought it the same year I got custody of my son when he was 6, and he is now almost 25. My daughter was nearly born in the passenger seat doing 90 mph passing a hypo getting off the Salmon Creek exit on the way to Southwest :burnout:

For anyone still reading :clap:

Sorry for the rant but life is a beach at hi tide right now.

If anyone has anything running and needs a good parts car, or a good parts car to keep my ole bubaru (my daughter couldn't say subaru until she was 7 ;) )

GD/Rick? if you are in the same place or in the area doing the same thing, maybe I will take drive by? I lost the PM with your number, if even still the same...mine is if you have it?

• 5 weeks later...

I know from learning the hard way that after you replace the rear bearing & seals, If you do not really tighten ( I think 150ftLbs spec) the wheel nut with the washer curved inward, You will lose your bearing and hub splines in a few hundred miles, I was lucky to get a new hub at junkyard for $15. After getting Real tight,(no torque wrench, I just heaved on the breaker bar) no problems, When the brake shoes won't clear the ridge in drum, you can pull a little rubber plug from the backing plate then insert a small flat blade and the adjuster will loosen, then hub will work past the ridge, with alot of wobbling & pulling! No hammer though, brake drum is cast, I broke one with an awful weak tap!