Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1971 Subaru FF-1 Star (official build)

EWSuby

The time has come for me to start my build thread on my FF-1. I finally got the time to pull it out and get some pictures of it prior to gutting it out this weekend and starting the full rebuild process.

The plans right now are to do it as close to all original as possible, but with a EA71 motor instead of the original EA61 that was in it. I will add my own twist to a few things to make it a one of kind, but when all said and done it will be a pristine 1971 FF-1 Sedan

I wound up getting two full suspensions with the purchase of car and a couple extra bumpers, grills, etc.. but am still in the search for a bunch of other parts...

A little about the car:

It is a 2 owner car that has been in a New Mexico field for the past 20 years. The guy still had the original title for it and all...

The rust is not to terrible mainly all surface with a couple of minor rusted through areas on the rocker panels and the a dime size in the trunk...

It will take a butt load of pressure washing on the undercarriage and a good bucket of water and shop vac on the interior to begin the body work, but goal is to have it ready for paint by Winter..

Here are the first few pics and I will update as days progress...

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

• Like 1

Are those the "brakes" on the axles???Never seen anything like it (well suby related anyway)

Looks like you have along road ahead of you...but its gonna be cool when your done with it.

I too am curious about that..

Are those the "brakes" on the axles???Never seen anything like it (well suby related anyway)

Looks like you have along road ahead of you...but its gonna be cool when your done with it.

The brakes were mounted in board on it, they come right off the transmission, pretty unique little setup this thing has all together...

The suspension system is like no other car I have got my hands on too.. it is setup with a torsion bar setup and the ride height is adjustable...

The road is long, but hopefully it won't be too bumpy..

thats is nice! i almost bought a yellow wagon ff1 from indiana on Craigslist that was still running and in decent shape for the age it but when i called he said someone was coming to look at it and he would call back. he did call back to tell me the guy bought it. i was sad. i really wanted it.

Edited by 1990loyale

• 2 months later...

my 1st update for the build.. a lot of progress into it.. I have started working pretty much every aspect of the bodywork, since there is so much that needs to be done I have the ability to jump back and forth on different parts of the car.. I have two areas setup one with all the bolt on body panels and then the actual body of the car which I have spent the most time on so far..

I am sandblasting every part and plan on taking the body to the shop to get the rockers and a few other problem areas repaired by them.. everything else I will be able to handle without any issues..

I plan on keeping this suspension on the car to keep it a roller through the process, since I have two full suspensions for the car... so while it is getting paint I will be completely rebuilding the other suspension so I can bolt that on once it returns from paint..

I will close with some pictures from today and will continue updates as time progresses...

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0013-1.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

DSC_0008-1.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg

DSC_0013-1.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016-1.jpg

DSC_0018-1.jpg

DSC_0020-1.jpg

The first completed piece with first coat of primer.. (sandblasted)

DSC_0019.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta Love those Subaru FF1's

;)

FF1Cutaway.jpg

... That is the way the FF-1s were, JesZek has rode in one of these, with that brake set up. Kinda cool :)

Yes.

Kinda weird the first time I saw 'em, I was thinking in how Difficult could be to do a Brake Job on Those...

Also I Read that Subaru Made Front Disc Brakes in the same spot for the 1300G version.

Good Luck with the Restoration Process, it should be a Fun and Great Project! icon14.gif

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update on the car..

Finally found some dry ice to help ease the painful pull up of the sound deadening material on the interior.. came out real nice and dry ice works wonders, cut my time in half, easily..

The interior is now completely gutted and all glass is out of the car..

Trying to find a sandblaster locally to take the shell to so I can get it down to bare metal like I am doing with all the panels that come off the car, since I have a blaster big enough for those parts...

Probably going to start DA sanding the interior so progress doesn't slow, as that technically doesn't need sand blasted since it is clean with no rust.. my goal is to get the car into the paint shop by mid November..

I am going to be needing all the light fixtures, so if anyone knows of complete sets, please let me know so I can contact them.. Parts are hard to find so may end up having to go with some similar parts off other vehicles to get it fully fuctional, not ideal but would give it its own uniqueness...

I will post newer pics later in the week..

The datsun 510 is a real close match for some of the parts, tails and side marker lights for sure.. I am also looking at the corrolla's parts from back then too if needed.. planning on custom fabricating a new front valence out of sheet metal since the one I have is mangled to the point of no return..

Going with an EA71 motor, may try and use the VW ignition setup they have one for a 1600 cc water cooled.. not sure if I can make it work yet still doing the research. Anyone tried that on the boards?

Plans are to redrill the hubs to allow a different lug pattern as our wheel choices are so select.. that is also in research phase too, may just end up getting adapters..

pretty much gonna be trial and error except for the stuff kostmajens thread has available for my researching needs..

• 2 weeks later...
I'll Like to know the Reason why you don't want to use the Original EA71 ignition.

Kind Regards.

Mainly because I do not have the stock one and it will be easier to find parts later on in life if something were to go wrong ignition wise.. As we know the majority of the older parts are becoming obsolete.. But the multiple spark it gives will also benefit the idle at startup while running the weber carb.. l

• 3 weeks later...

Been a few weeks since I have posted anything on the status of the car.. not too much happening the past few weeks got the interior completely stripped, sand blasted, then POR-15 throughout the entire inside. Started ordering parts finally.. The biggest hurdle was freeing up fundage is now complete and I have enough cash to finish this thing hopefully and get it back on the road soon... Checking out bodyshops right now, will be getting it into get all the body work done by mid November.. I will post updated pictures in a few days..

• 1 month later...

December update: lots of researching and sourcing being accomplished! Found a descent priced body shop in the area to accomplish everything I am trying to do with the car. I am dropping it off in the morning to get all bodywork and paint completed. It will be a two month process for us to complete everything.

I also started ordering parts got some of the external bolt ons to the EA71 put on order. i.e. new water pump, alternator, carb rebuild...

still working on sourcing motor mounts and engine rebuild kit.. (looking at cleggs for that)

While the car is at the bodyshop I will be tearing down the second suspension I have and refurbishing it, along with tearing down the motor... Hopefully if all goes well I can have the motor and drivetrain ready to be dropped in by April.. Then all that will be left is interior..

I will post newly updated pics hopefully this weekend and they should come weekly thereafter.

Got the car dropped off at the body shop today, so the build should be moving faster the next couple of months. I will post updates weekly..

The interior has been completely POR15'd minus the actual doors, we will be doing those over at the shop..

DSC_0054.jpg

What little panel work I was able to accomplish at the house was the fenders and rear end. Decided to stop all other work and find a bodyshop I can work out of rather than dirty up my garage with all the paint stripping and sheet metal work that I need to do..

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

I will post an update next week with what I could accomplish over the weekend and prior to my vacation..

• 3 weeks later...

A good day yesterday! My engine rebuild kit came for the EA71 that's going into it, so I will be starting that tear down and rebuild next weekend. Also got the JDM fender mirrors and other goodies in the mail the past couple weeks.. lots of other parts are set to arrive this next week. I will head out to the shop on Monday to shoot some updated shots of the bodywork progress.. its coming along great!

Happy Parts!!

IMAG0630.jpg

Edited by EWSuby
  • Like 1