Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1971 Subaru FF-1 Star (official build)

EWSuby

Link to JDM mirrors?

I need to jump back into EA71 rebuild. I spent months gathering OEM parts from dealerships and I about everything needed to rebuild the engine and tranny.

But I just need to tear it out. Yours is already out obviously so you are ready to rock and roll. If it isn't too much trouble can you post your tear down and rebuild process?

I am hitting mine either way but pictures and detail of what I will be getting into will really help.

Can't wait to see her after the body shop! :banana:

Link to JDM mirrors?

I need to jump back into EA71 rebuild. I spent months gathering OEM parts from dealerships and I about everything needed to rebuild the engine and tranny.

But I just need to tear it out. Yours is already out obviously so you are ready to rock and roll. If it isn't too much trouble can you post your tear down and rebuild process?

I am hitting mine either way but pictures and detail of what I will be getting into will really help.

Can't wait to see her after the body shop! :banana:

JDM mirrors are one of the Ebay specialties! I will post a link to them when I get home from work.

I will try and take pictures of each process of the tear down, hopefully starting on it this weekend just depends on the weather.

Finally made it to the shop today to check out what progress had been made while I was out of town. Progress has been slower because of the cold weather and holidays, so only got the trunk, quarter panel, and hood sanded down to bare metal... I am going to go in Saturday and try to get the sand blasting finished on the whole car. Will post another update again next week. A couple pictures...

DSC_0001_zpsfb282fdb.jpg

DSC_0002_zps7a44c636.jpg

DSC_0010-1_zps983ccc10.jpg

Just started one. Just posted a few pics of what she looks like at the moment. All i really need is a distrubitor cap, battery, and obviously new fluids. My father got her in 98-99, and it ran great then. He got sick in 04 when i was in the military and it sat untill 2010-11. Then over the summer last year he gave it to me!

Love it! My current project is a 1970 Subaru 360 van.

360 Van another one of my fav's! I may search for one of those later on in life...

I should have some updated pics of the progress from this week hopefully by weeks end.. Parts continue to roll in daily for it new Shocks and the fuel pump showed up in the mail today. I also finally got my work bench and stuff built this past weekend so I now have space to rebuild the motor and suspension..

Edited by EWSuby

• 2 weeks later...

Some more progress made the past few days... Got the drip rails on the top shaved and rewelded the seams and also started on of the unique touches I am adding to it... Adding the Subaru Brat Fuel door.. here are some pics.

DSC_0012-2_zps92eadcaf.jpg

DSC_0010-1_zps7f32c028.jpg

DSC_0011-2_zps06920318.jpg

The fuel door needs a little more adjustment before welding the panel down, going to try and inset it a little bit more..

DSC_0013-3_zpsb92496f1.jpg

Trunk is stripped along with almost the whole front clip.. probably going to have to fabricate a whole new front panel since there is no NOS for this piece...

DSC_0008-2_zpsaaa7d884.jpg

DSC_0003-2_zps02dc41ca.jpg

• Like 1

Just FYI, that is a wagon or hatch fuel door. The brat fuel door was flush with the body, and the same color as the body, and had a little round knob to turn to open it.

Looks like a sweet project! Looking forward to seeing it done!

i've seen brats either way whether they got it like factory, dealer, or swapped.

i would say the major difference would be how the gas tank lid is facing the wrong way, because that is off one that has the gas tank on the right and this ff-1 tank is on the left.

i've seen brats either way whether they got it like factory, dealer, or swapped.

i would say the major difference would be how the gas tank lid is facing the wrong way, because that is off one that has the gas tank on the right and this ff-1 tank is on the left.

never heard of suicide gas doors??:brow:

If they had that style, it was swapped on. It's not a problem either way, just wanted to make sure he had the right info.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello nice rebuild process .

I have a Subaru ff1 1300 and need head gaskets.... can you help me ? i,m from Portugal .

Its dificult having parts here.already looked on ebay and only appears the 1400 head gasket

Also liked to have the symbol of the hood that says ff1

my email is casteloruca@gmail.com

thx and good luck with your Subaru.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Subaru-FF1/142664009172586?sk=photos_stream