Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, I've been looking for a late 90's legacy (wanted a 2.2) for a relative of mine, and just came accross a 2000 legacy L sedan. It's an auto, 60k, supposedly well maintained, and the guys asking about 9 for it (bit more than i'd like).

Any suggestions on stuff to look for or be wary of (i've got an 02 OBW 5sp, so I know of some stuff)? I'm checking out the nhtsa site, and see a couple auto trans bulletins, nothing seems too bad. I'll def. check for "torque bind" and look at the tire wear.

Any comments would be great. Thanks a bunch.

I am looking at a 98 L...they want $6500...it has 70k miles...so I am gonna offer them $4500...heh. Needs timing belt changed...and oil seals...etc...hopefully I can get it for $5300ish.

Use stuff like that to talk them down...every ding and such be like 'well thats gonna have to be fixed etc etc'

Good luck finding a car.

I have a 2000 legacy L wagon with 45000. Fairly reliable.

Several trips to a dealer, most recalls:

O2 sensor recall

rear axle rust recall

coolant additive recall

Recently:

problems with TPS sensor ($330 at a dealer)

O2 sensor readings a bit unusual (ordered part for $156)

replaced brake pads myself ($50 parts at Autozone)

Tires wear uneven, despite several alighments (the second set of tires is about gone)

Check the condition of tires and brakes as they would be well gone by now.

Also, check if 60000 service done.

Look hard for evidence of head gasket problems.

Good luck!!!

Sounds like a good find and the price isn't unreasonable..I'd run a carfax report and then talk to the guy and see if he can tell you or provide you with some service records. Someone already mentioned it, but timing belt's a big thing. Has it been done recently or ever?

Take it for a spin if they let you. Check the temp gauge and make sure it stays in the normal (a hair below halfway) range. Make some sharp turns and loops, listen for any CV boot clicking or binding.

If you check NADA or Kelley BlueBook you'll see the price isn't bad, but you could probably use any required maintenance/repairs as negotiating points.

Let us know how you make out.