Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was thinking now at 200K to give the intake a seafoam treatment, which has never been done; though, I have manually cleaned the throttle body and pcv hole. The website gave me a double take on this- "Note that some newer induction systems, like those found on Vortec and Subaru “H” style engines, do not have any vacuum line that distribute evenly. Consequently, this process should only be attempted by technicians with a comprehensive understanding of the engine’s induction system or use Sea Foam Spray through the throttle body (discribed in a different section of this web site)." My plan was the brake booster line, but maybe not correct. Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

'99 ej253

I would prefer to use somethng other than the brake booster hose but it's worked well for me.

I'd prefer a smaller hose that may distribute it more evenly - but the booster hose has worked well.

I recently tried to find a vacuum hose on a Toyota RAV4 after she had significant success with Seafoam in the fuel and in 5 minutes couldn't find a good hose.

However even with it in the tank her CEL is out and mileage almost doubled. I'm sure the car has been ignored most of it's life.

P0420 - catalyst efficiency.

It's my aunt, a retired Nurse. Forget what year, probably over 100k, she bought new.

I was still recovering from neck surgery in March when this went on. So I couldn't start unbolting plastic stuff around throttle body,etc to look for a good vacuum hose. Most seemed metal and at the back of the engine, and at the time simply reaghing my arms out hurt.

She says her mileage doubled. Not that she checks it, but she could make double her normal trips on the same tank.

A neighbor of hers had the same issue. With same excellent results. I have a local independent auto parts where it's pretty cheap. I had to warn them against using it every tank because my parents were getting it for her constantly. I suggested one time per month or every oil change.

Now that I'm a little more mobile I may take another look for a good vacuum line on it. I'm sure she's been abusing the Seafoam but I'm pretty sure the light is still off. I told her I may have another fix (the spark plug adapter) and so far she hasn't asked about it.

Thanks. I buy high quality gas and using the Seafoam every 6 months seems to work pretty well in the tank. Never have seen an improvement with gas mileage (yes replaced front o2, tune ups with OEM parts, the works). My real goal is to clean the intake, and top of top of the engine.

Thank you Texan. That might be the way to go. I must say though, having done it before, removing the breather on my Forester is really kinda of a hassle.

I understand, - recently used 'regular' seafoam on my WRX - I used the vacuum line off of the BPV on the 'front' of the TMIC. But, some folks say it only gets thru 2 intake runners so - I dunno.

like you, I'm reluctant to engage in a huge amount of fiddly dis-assembly. I may have to eventually, but for now, my car seems to be OK.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we did the procedure yesterday. I must say there really was substantial improvement in terms of Smooth performance and a little kick of power as well. We now believers! It was a little embarrassing having people think something was major wrong with the Forester though.

Is this the same seafood stuff you buy at the auto store in the white cans?

I used it because I had some valve ticking a week after I got my impreza, then a week later, upon starting, the ticking got exceptionally loud (it got quieter as the engine warmed up), but the people at the store told me to use this stuff in the oil (which needed a change anyway), so I put half in the oil, half in the tank, drove it to park city (45 min uphill climb) and back, and when I changed the oil... Everything sounded, felt, rode, drove better.

Is this the same seafood stuff you buy at the auto store in the white cans?

I used it because I had some valve ticking a week after I got my impreza, then a week later, upon starting, the ticking got exceptionally loud (it got quieter as the engine warmed up), but the people at the store told me to use this stuff in the oil (which needed a change anyway), so I put half in the oil, half in the tank, drove it to park city (45 min uphill climb) and back, and when I changed the oil... Everything sounded, felt, rode, drove better.

Yes, we got the spray Seafoam and ran it through the intake. Will do the oil next change.

I used the spray one today. First got it for the IAC, jumpy idle. Went like 6 ounces through vacuum line off air duct into IAC, I figured I would go the other six ounces through brake booster to evenly distribute it got a little left. Idles better, no up and down. However I didn't think of this at the time, it came with a real long insert tube with a plastic 180 degree braket I belive so you can put into the throttle body and put the air duct on to keep in running, I could be wrong. I tell ya it's good stuff for finding exhaust leaks!!! Another thing on the list for me!!!!

Edited by Maleki777

I used the spray one today. First got it for the IAC, jumpy idle. Went like 6 ounces through vacuum line off air duct into IAC, I figured I would go through brake booster to evenly distribute it. Idles better, no up and down. However I didn't think of this at the time, it came with a real long insert tube with a plastic 180 degree braket I belive so you can put into the throttle body and put the air duct on to keep in running, I could be wrong. I tell ya it's good stuff for finding exhaust leaks!!! Another thing on the list for me!!!!

Yep that how I did mine- right inside the throttle body, twelve o'clock position. The button is kinda hard to push for that length of time, but much easier than trying to meter out a liquid.