Ultimate Subaru Message Board

79 Brat DL 4wd Harness help!

Decided to start a new thread for this outside of the classifieds. So I started going through the original harness and comparing it to the ones I have. One of them is relatively close so maybe you wonderful people can help me make it work. Here it goes....

SO here is the biggest difference, original harness on top, new one on bottom.

IMG_20120702_133819.jpg

Close-up of the old harness..

IMG_20120702_133841.jpg

New one...

IMG_20120702_133836.jpg

Under the hood, old one has two black wires and one yellow to the condenser(think its the condenser), New one has 2 yellow, one black, and 3 other black with various stripes that are clipped.

IMG_20120702_135709.jpg

Somekind of option like a plow or winch maybe was once installed? Looks too light gauge of wire for a plow , but I could be wrong. My winch wiring is that gauge , I'm pretty sure. A/C eliminated ?

What's the build month and if you don't mind the VIN # too. If you're not comfy with that you can X out the last three digits.

Any ideas? Going to start trying to put it together and make it work tomorrow. Guess if all else ill see what ends up not having a connector that fits and hope its nothing important. If it deals with the ac/heater stuff ill just remove the whole blower assembly and be done with it. Going to rat it might as well rat it right?

Ok, so I am pretty sure those other two connectors go to buzzers...that I don't care about but im trying to figure out what to do with the condenser wires.IMG_20120705_150616.jpg

The original harness had one eyelit with a black and a black with white stripe wire and an eyelit with a yellow wire. The new harness has an eyelet with a black with red stripe wire and an eyelit with two yellow wires along with a black with red stripe, black, and black with white stripe wire that were all cut.

Edited by BlindSight

So I still can't seem to figure that section out, have everything else ready to go I believe but when I try to start the car the bottom fuse pops. I just hooked up the uncut wires to the Ignition coil , then I tried hooking up the other black wire with a red stripe as well and still the same thing. suggestions?

Edited by BlindSight

If your truck has points, you need the ballast resistor (the big while ceramic block mounted on or near your coil). If you have electronic ignition (little module inside your distributor) then you don't need it. I'll try to find my schematic and fill in the gaps. Try to find a Mitchell or Subaru schematic for your specific year; it might help.

Alright so I think I have it figured out...the new harness is from a 78 which had a points distributor which my car does not, the extra black with red stripe and black wire are supposed to go to a ballast resistor which my car doesn't have so im going to order one and see if that fixes the problem. Will it matter that I put this on a car with a non-points system? I did a bunch of research and found that my ignition coil is the ND model so looking at a 1.4 ohm resistor. If anyone sees any issues let me know. Thanks!

Just for kicks I connected my new ballast resistor (car originally didn't come with one but the new harness from the older model has the wires for it.....and now it runs! Well its getting really hot and boiling in the reservoir but im hoping its just the electric fan is worn out and cutting on and off.