Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Parking brake doesn't work after rear brake/rotor change

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ibroad

ibroad

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • SC, 2002 Outback 2.5L

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

I had my rear brake/rotors changed recently on my '02 Outback and after I got it back from the place my damn park brake doesn't work anymore!

I usually park on an incline at work and when I engaged the parking brake the car just kept rolling back.

I brought it back into them and they said they fixed it, but it still does it!

What the hell did they do?

#2 CNY_Dave

CNY_Dave

03 LL Bean H6

• Members
  • 1,431 posts
  • Near Cortland NY

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

Could be they didn't adjust them enough, does the lever show some resistance when you yank it up?

How many clicks?

Could be the shoes or the drum are contaminated, you might try driving slowly, holding the button down, and pulling the lever up to where it has some resistance to scuff the shoes and drum a bit.

#3 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,673 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:10 PM

Pretty sure the hand brake is cable activated. Not positive on a Subie, but that is how I have seen it on other cars. Look to see that the cable is attached to each brake, and to the bottom of the hand brake mechanism under the car. Might be a disconnected cable.

#4 coolskaterkid

coolskaterkid

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • south lake tahoe

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

I had the same issue, it ended up being the parking brakes shoes, the ones in side the drum needed to be adjusted. So i did till the drum just barley slid on, and problems fixed.

#5 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,828 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:20 AM

Park brake shoes need to be adjusted. It can be done with a brake spoon (curved blade type tool used to turn the adjuster without removing the rotor). Or adjust the shoes outward a little at a time while removing/replacing the rotor several times until you get a nice tight fit.

#6 ibroad

ibroad

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • SC, 2002 Outback 2.5L

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:59 AM

Park brake shoes need to be adjusted. It can be done with a brake spoon (curved blade type tool used to turn the adjuster without removing the rotor). Or adjust the shoes outward a little at a time while removing/replacing the rotor several times until you get a nice tight fit.

Is this something they should have done when I had the brakes/rotors replaced?

#7 CNY_Dave

CNY_Dave

03 LL Bean H6

• Members
  • 1,431 posts
  • Near Cortland NY

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

Is this something they should have done when I had the brakes/rotors replaced?

Most certainly. They need to make it right- assuming they are capable.

The E-brake drums are just like any rear drum brake e-brakes, there are just no wheel cylinders.

#8 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,948 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

Sometimes when taking off the rear rotors, especially in rusty areas, I have seen the lining just fall off the parking brake shoes. If that happened and they didn't fix it, it could cause that problem. Most likely though they just backed off the adjusters when removing the old rotors and didn't readjust them properly.

#9 Red92

Red92

Subaru Fanatic!

• Bronze Subscribers
  • 427 posts
  • Wisconsin

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

Most certainly. They need to make it right- assuming they are capable.

Seconded.

I would be a bit concerned about their competence though if they missed it the first time, and then still didn't fix it properly when you brought it back the second time. :-\

#10 CNY_Dave

CNY_Dave

03 LL Bean H6

• Members
  • 1,431 posts
  • Near Cortland NY

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

They are probably just spinning the wheel on the lift by hand, then seeing if it's tight enough they can't.

#11 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,594 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

They are often overlooked, which is a shame as it is something that a shop can make like 19.00 off of for zero work on their part, lazy shop.

#12 ibroad

ibroad

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • SC, 2002 Outback 2.5L

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

Yeah I'm not even going to take it back to them again.

I'm just going to leave them a negative Google review ... that will teach them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users