Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"New" utility Brat

wallaby

my wife pointed this one out in a tow yard.....i think she is encouraging the habit......

so we got it for $100 - will become her farm vehicle,
we use subys instead of expensive ATV's and UTV
was missing some parts and is rusty as hell, but will work great for us
had another car paked on the tailgate when we picked it up

repairs done -
- rebuild carb - removed everything i could from the hitachi, now has manual choke, mechanical secondary, and no extra vacumn/pollution stuff
- replace missing starter motor, battery cables, wipers
- replaced wheels and tyres
- fixed rust in cab floor and painted
- beat out tailgate and replaced latches
- exhaust -was in the bed
- paint - she picked the colour, foam roller, safety yellow - my 4th roller paint job and i think i am getting pretty good at it.... :)

runs pretty good now, needs axles and a dual range - probably after the summer when i have some more time

still to do
valve cover gaskets - leaks onto exhaust
reinstall interior
build rear bumper
front bumper/bullbar/bash plate

before

IMG_0056.jpg

now

Kerissubaru004.jpg

more to come soon

Edited by wallaby
spelling....
  • Like 1

yesterday i had my first attempt at installing a windshield....

getting the rubber seal out of the parts car did not go so well, ended up taking the windshield out with my boot:D

this brat came with a windshield but no seal

i got it reinstalled....not a real pro job but i don't think it will fall out

got black urethane EVERYWHERE.....

and will have to repaint some places..

i don't think i would attempt this on a road car, just for future reference:

haha! That paint came out great! Jeszek would approve of the color ;)

And I don't know why, but every time I see those rims, I want a set, really bad.

What are they? They're after-market right?

I think I've seen a set of those on maybe four or five members' cars on here..

• Like 1

i have 3 brats - 2 UTVs, this one and a brown one that will be getting a safety orange paintjob at some point, then my DD blue one (that has a bad engine at the moment

then a couple wagons as well,.......

IMG_0052.jpg

subys work really well around our farm - my wifes family have a small direct market and upick fruit and vegetable operation.

Yes thats a hilux or toyota pickup 76 shortbox (never seen another) belongs to my Brother in law and i am looking after it while he works for the gov, was my daily driver for a while but it has a LOT of issues, but starts and runs every time - has been in the family since new, transfered and gifted so many times between family members it crazy.

more on the yella peril this weekend

yeah blue one is a redrilled on Mazda alloys

i can't seem to find ttop units to buy......i would like one, but it hasn't happened.....yet

Mugs - this one won't be on the road any time soon, the amount of rust underneath is almost to midwest standards- fixable but i don't need to at this time this one is for on-farm only.

Engine is toasted in the blue one...now might just be the time for EJ......??????......:burnout:

back on topic.......

got the interior back in this weekend, still have to finish fitting the seats, had GL seats that were badly fitted, will punch some plates after work today.

bed trim back on and started on the tailgate latches - bought some pin type latches and will just mount them on the outside, originals were too beat up to work right.

drove it around a bit, need to bleed the brakes.....

1 question for the gurus,- have an electric fuel pump hooked up to the key, if i leave the key on (pump running) for a few minutes the fuel leaks past the needle valve and runs into the intake, filling up whichever cylinder has the intake valve open? new needle valve, used fuel pump,

do i need a pressure regulator?

i have done this before and not had the issue

is the float not working. what kind of PSI are you running for the external pump?

no idea what the pressure is but i can check it....what pressure do i need?

its just a standard square type NAPA or something fuel pump - had a collection of them lying around - gradually using them on subarus......:-p

the next part of this is last night it wouldn't stay runnnig - so maybe that pump is no good either, may actually have to buy a new one

• 2 weeks later...

still having fuel issues with this car.....

i think i have several problems

fuel is not coming out of the tank, -is there a screen? how do you clean it?

so i have it hooked up to a jerry can in the back for now.

the hitachi carb i have on it worked OK before then i removed everything that i thought was extra from it - electric choke, vac secondary, a ton of vacumn lines...

will run now but if i let the fuel pump run without the engine running it will just flood into the throttle body - maybe i removed something important....???

i am at the point where i am going to put an old carter/weber single barrel on it that i am pretty sure works.

is your fuel return line plugged?

you can blow compressed air backwards through the line to clean the screen if there's one there...

hows the fuel filter under the bed?

i don't have a return line.....maybe that's the problem, the fitting on the carb broke so i just replaced it with a straight hose tail, no return outlet.

have changed the filter underneath,

i guess, blow air into the tank, then drain it out the bottom....i figured blowing it out would just put all the gunk back into the tank.

thanks Mcbrat i will replace the return line....

found some new info....

seems i removed something i needed from this carb, swapped on an old single barrel that i know worked and it started right up and ran fine.

although now it seems i have a leak in the tank....:( , just on the fill tube i think.

will look at it this weekend, also am pulling the engine from the blue brat to get it back on the road....:burnout: