Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT6 parts on 85 GL 2dr wagon???

iceageg

It was not the direction I was origionaly going with my build, but I find myself with access to a nearly complete XT6 that I can get parts from. I have an 85 2 door wagon that is essentially bone stock. I have done some searching and I am continuing to search but I am curious about what will transfer over. There is limited time before the parts are open to public consumption so I am hoping to get an "order of magnitude" estimate of what will swap over.

The ER27 is complete but I am not interested in the full drive train. Either keeping the FI or converting it to carburator, what would it take to bolt up to the existing 4MT?

Will the front seats bolt right in?

I know disks, calipers and knuckles are needed. Do I also need axles, control arms and struts to convert over to disk rear and 5 lug all around?

I know searching is my friend. I intend to find the answers myself. I only ask this way because I am trying to secure the parts should I decide to change my plans for the build.

This stuff has been covered at length, and I will not spoon-feed some of the really reduntant.

But, 2-door and 4-speed. That means it's an EA81. That has come to be known as a hatch. The '85 Wagons were EA82s, and a very different platforms.

The ER27 is much longer, and will require much fabrication to fit. and will probably chew your 4 speed to bits. IMO, it's not worth doing if you don't put a 5-speed.

front 5-lug swap in an EA81 is very involved. Short story is, it'll require custom axles.

Front seats do not bolt quite right into an Ea82, I know that for sure. Done right will require some modification. I suspect EA81 would be similar.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for the quick response. I was able to pick up the seats and decided not to bother with the rest. I managed to get the seats installed this weekend. I will post pics and some details about the effort involved in a new thread.