Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wiper Post problem

Sooo I try to be a site regular, but everytime my BRAT breaks down i end up spending months trying to figure out logistics of fixing it and then next thing i know its been 6 months since i visited last :P So HELOOOO all :)

Latest fix: water pump was making super awesome happy grinding noises back in march... Had kinda been making them ever since i first started resurecting bratticus but one day it got REALY bad... Easy enough fix right? Well sadly as i was shutting the hood the drivers side hood mount poped clean off ripping chunks of metal with it..

Soo for the last few months i've bee trying to figure out how to move a car that doesn't run to a place where I (or someone with experience) can weld it. AND not involve my MOPAR loving father in law who likes to remind me that any work done to bratticus is worth more than the car itself (hurtful words if i do say so myself).

Anyway turns out i had a friend visit this week who is somewhat skilled in the art of welding, and somehow i convinced my Father in law to bring over a trailer and tow bratticus to a friends shop.

Sorry, point of this post now comming up...

Now the water pump is fixed, the hood mount welded firmly back together (with ome slight line issues which im not worried about)

BUT as my friend finished the last weld my father in law decided to spray on the primer and paint to seal up the metal from rust.... My father in law is a pretty smart guy, but for some reason he felt like rushing a little... so the now steaming scalding HOT paint drips down onto the PLASTIC of my wiper post assembly and melts it all gone

HOW do i remove the wiper post from the wiper arm inside the vent space?

I remove the bolts holding the post up (sorry BOLT since the other one's now not connected to anything after being MELTED:Flame:) I see plastic holding pieces, i can tell if i should pull on them or if they screw off.

Again thanks for reading the long post, Just need some tips to remove the wiper posts so i can replace it. and get Bratticus back on the streats :burnout:

Short Version for anyone who doesn't want to read my attached story:popcorn:

HOW do i remove the wiper post from the wiper arm inside the vent space?

I remove the bolts holding the post up (sorry BOLT since the other one's now not connected to anything after being MELTED) I see plastic holding pieces, i can tell if i should pull on them or if they screw off.

Just for starters, those plastic pieces are no longer available, and wear out, and the shafts corrode inside, making them very hard to move (why wiper motors burn out). If you're lucky you'll be able to remove the mount nuts without turning the studs in the plastic. That done, you need to remove the plastic clip that holds the linkage to the shaft ball. It is just a matter of getting in there and squeezing the clips so it comes off the ball. It may be easier to unbolt the wiper motor assembly to move the whole thing around for access.

I just went through this and ended up installing loyale wiper shaft assemblies. Different bolt pattern, sealed units, different on center dimension (I still have to cut and weld the connecting linkages). Not my favorite project, but it should all work out.

Good luck with that...

Ya Good luck is what i'm going to need :)

So for clarifiaction the plasitc clips that i need to squeeze off are round (almost the size of a penny, but much thicker) and have four points on them? do i just need to squeeze two of these points to get it off?

Going to try this tomorrow afternoon as soon as i get back from work :D

If you can squeeze two adjoining clips usually it will pop off the ball, then gently squeeze the other 2 and it will fall right off. BTW, the clips aren't even on the dealer's IPB, so be careful or plan a trip to the wrecking yard.

Yeaaaa... still can't get that clip off, mainly can't figure out what tool to squeeze it with, fingers defintely dont work, and i can't get needle nose pliers into a position to squeeze.. I was thining today i might go find a pair of right angle needle nose pliers and try that, But do you have any better suggestions?

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ya thanks Datsun for helping me with that. Here's how the rest of that week went down.

Went to the Junker, had Trouble loosening the screws off of the firewheel, they have ridges that hold the in the plastic i think i stripped em.  So i took a grinder to it since i had an extra screw :) THIS was almost a bad idea... just about melted the plastic mount AGAIN, luckily it only melted a little. 

Also turns out 19 mm is too small..? weird cuz we definiely used a 19mm 12 point at your shop.  21mm seem's to work just fine though.

While putting the posts back on i couldn't quite get the metal arms lined up right, so when i turned on the wipers to test, it pulled the plastic cap right off the metal ball. (at this point i asked if u were open last Sat.) .. i went to ace and picked up a Socket for myself instead.

This turned out to be a good thing, since i broke one of the arms off the piece i pulled off the junker, AND it didnt turn as smoothly as i would have liked.  I was able to re-grease the ball and plastic cap, and swith the cap for a clean, intact one.

Second attempt everything went together smoothly, figued out i had to mount the posts first then attach the metal arms.

ALSO Datsun helped me figure out how to remove my door paneling.. sure easy enough but i could not figure out for the life of me where that clip for the window crank was.  I was able to replaced my broken window crank AND figure out if i put a little grease on the back side of the window it would stop binding and gettign stuck before closing all the way. (the original reason the crank broke)

Bratticus is road worthy once more, now on to replaceing the wheels with some nice aluminum ones i pulled of junker (found out this weekend they polish up good with some spinning steel ) and get the seats cleaned up/ restuffed :)

Thanks again Datsun for your help!