Ultimate Subaru Message Board

d/r swap in legacy

Markus56

hey guys i'm having a heck of a time finding the info to put an ea82 d/r in my legacy. the search is not working for me, i guess i don't know the right key words to use. anyone know if there is a sticky or definitive thread anywhere?

i've given it the treatment of a four inch lift kit with obs struts. now that i have 215/75/r15 bfg km2s, im having a heck of a time with steep hills. seems to me the next step is a d/r

i have a complete 86 gl parts car

all the other things i would need to get would be a clutch pedal assembly, dash gauge, adapter kit, from another legacy. i'm sure there is something that i am forgetting.

Edited by Turbone

Remove rear diff from Legacy, and bolt in rear diff from the GL

well sweet! are there any pictures of the modified trans cross member? and would i have to get one from a manual or can i use the automatic crossmember?

Edited by Markus56

My thread.....

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=129421&highlight=dual+range+swap&page=1

The thread I got most of my info from.....

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=109402&highlight=waterwagon

It would be nice if someone got all the info together, took better pictures, and did a better write up.

Not sure about the manual/auto crossmember difference. But, they are easy to modify. Just drilling holes. One side of the EJ cross member is at a different angle so I made a wedge shaped spacer to get the angle closer.

I'd be happy to take some better pictures for you. Just let me know what all you want pics of.

Edited by daredevil1166

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Shift linkages and tranny crossmember pictures would be sweet :)

Working on the same thing. Hope to have the swap complete this weekend minus the new drive shaft. I just took the EA trans mount and drilled it to accept the skid plate and rear trans mount from the EJ.

IMAG0138.jpg

I'll upload pics of the shift linkage when I'm done.

Edited by NorthCoast

Theoretically it should work the same. Only I will be supporting it from the back end. I will probably fab some tabs for the center support.

Nope.

The EA crossmember won't bolt into the Legacy body. Not correctly anyhow. In fact you've got the EA crossmember bolted to the EJ stuff backwards.

You don't need the rear or center pieces at all. You don't need an EA crossmember.

You need a front EJ MT crossmember with 2 holes drilled for the EA mounts. Done.

Edited by Gloyale

Not sure about the manual/auto crossmember difference. But, they are easy to modify. Just drilling holes. One side of the EJ cross member is at a different angle so I made a wedge shaped spacer to get the angle closer.

Daredevil1166 hit's it on the head.

One side could use a wedge, otherwise it's a bolt in.

Drive shaft is in and it works. Do I need an EA starter? Got everything back together and all I hear is metal grinding while I try to start it.

Yeah, you need an EA starter. The mounting hole in the D/R is larger diameter than the EJ.

The starter isn't centering correctly in the hole.

EA manual starter will work (Single or Dual range)