Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

dohc ej25 to 95 ej22

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 redrocket98

redrocket98

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • South

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:43 PM

i'm wanting to go from the dohc ej25 "98 Forester" to a 95 ej22, "obvious reasons, dual port exhaust that year"

would something like this be plug n play, getting a 95 auto motor with the egr valve. my forester is a 5mt by the way.

some i've asked say wiring harness will have to change some say direct fit, plug n play.

pretty sure the head gaskets are shot in it now and i could probably do the ej22 cheaper than having the head gaskets replaced and worry about it again.

#2 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:54 AM

If the 2.2 is from an auto with EGR, the harness is plug and play. The 2.5l flywheel will bolt up to the 2.2l, but it's heavier than a 2.2l one. That may be good for lugging the engine down and smooth takeoffs, but it will slightly hamper the responsiveness of the engine.

Use the A/C compressor bracket off the 2.5l.

The evap hoses will be different, but it's easy to figure out. The canister is in the back of the car rather than under the hood so you need to make a hose loop.

#3 redrocket98

redrocket98

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • South

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:44 AM

If the 2.2 is from an auto with EGR, the harness is plug and play. The 2.5l flywheel will bolt up to the 2.2l, but it's heavier than a 2.2l one. That may be good for lugging the engine down and smooth takeoffs, but it will slightly hamper the responsiveness of the engine.

Use the A/C compressor bracket off the 2.5l.

The evap hoses will be different, but it's easy to figure out. The canister is in the back of the car rather than under the hood so you need to make a hose loop.

what do you mean by hose loop? tie them in together under the hood?

#4 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

There will be two hose barbs sticking out over by the power steering pump. One is connected to the EVAP purge solenoid, the other goes over to the triplet of hose connections on the drivers side. If you use a hose to connect the two over by the power steering pump, it routes the purge solenoid vacuum to the line going to the rear of the car.

#5 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,682 posts
  • WV

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:55 PM

getting a 95 auto motor with the egr valve.

plug and play swap. remove entire EJ25 and install entire EJ22. bolts right in and plugs right up.

power steering lines won't have the same connections/brackets but it doesn't matter, i just leave them hanging. you can swap brackets off the EJ25 or something though if you want.

have the EJ25 a/c bracket handy as i think that is different as well, but it's just a matter of putting the EJ25 bracket on the EJ22.

#6 rallynutdon

rallynutdon

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Reading PA

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

Would a 97 2.2 automatic engine with EGR valve fit as a replacement for a 97 2.5 auto? Don't know if it's single or dual port heads but I'll be getting the exhaust Y pipe with the motor. Thanks.

#7 davebugs

davebugs

I don't "friend"

• Members
  • 3,112 posts
  • Pittsburgh suburbs (NE)

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

The 97 2.2 will be single port exhaust, and the 2.5 had a dual port.

So YOU WILL NEED the single port that you say you are getting with the 2.2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users