Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

trans swap - 99 AWD 5spd into a 95 AWD auto?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis ex24

Dennis ex24

Subaru Disaster

• Members
  • 2,683 posts
  • Phila, Pa

Posted 29 March 2004 - 10:58 AM

hey guys,

i have access to a cable shifted AWD 5spd from a 1999 impreza wagon. after some contemplating and thinking, ive decided i want to pull out the 4EAT in my 95 L and swap it for the manual trans.

i know obviously ill need the pedal box, trans and linkage...but anything else? crossmember? axles? seems like a pretty straight foward swap to me, but am i missing anything? i love my impreza but this auto has to go, not exactly fun going from my other car, a 200hp XT turbo to this.

for reference's sake, heres the description of both cars.

my car:
1995 2.2L with 4EAT AWD

the donor:
1999 2.2L with 5spd AWD

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,577 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 29 March 2004 - 12:42 PM

Dave's writeup is pretty good

http://legacycentral...ion/convert.htm

#3 Dennis ex24

Dennis ex24

Subaru Disaster

• Members
  • 2,683 posts
  • Phila, Pa

Posted 29 March 2004 - 03:58 PM

ive heard that the ECU and wiring will prevent this from be a straight ahead swap, can anyone verify?

#4 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,577 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 29 March 2004 - 08:16 PM

You will have to do some tweaking with the neutral safety switch as well as reverse, and park inhibitor......all shouldn't be too big an issue. ECU....really depends....as long as you have the MT/AT identifier pin on the ECU you should be ok.

#5 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 30 March 2004 - 01:06 AM

your hands. This is the sort of thing I though was a great idea when young because I enjoyed the work.
Make sure you have both cars sitting right there at the same time not one in a junkyard ten miles away.
For all sane adults this is not worth the time and money so you better enjoy doing it.

#6 WRX1AB

WRX1AB

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • global

Posted 31 March 2004 - 08:43 AM

peice of cake. Its not like you are squeezing a wrx motor into a 360

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users