Ultimate Subaru Message Board

80 Brat and carb rebuild without emissions junk

As I am learning more and more about the Brat I love so much, I am finding that a lot of you are taking off carb emissions junk from these gen 1 vehicles.

Again, I am learning but when I look at the carb I see miles of that "junk" and nowhere to begin. What can I safely take off and what is needed? I hear of people blocking off PCV valves and removing the backfire valve, etc..

What can I safely remove from my carb setup on my Gen 1 Brat? What is needed to make a manual choke? Other than buying a Weber what can be done to the Hitachi to make her run better?

Searching is good, I know, but I cannot seem to find definitive answers.

I am about to rip out the entire engine and want to re-seal all of her minus the bottom end, do the clutch, then rebuild the stock carb. I have been told cracking the engine on these EA71's is rarely needed.

Thanks.

Jon

Edited by O.C.D.

Sadface IT bandit, good ol Texas has a 25 year rule thankfully. I certainly don't want to support polluting but thats why I bought a little mini truck instead of a big giant diesel or a SUV. Anyways, just want to make this as reliable as possible and in my experience the fewer the parts...especially hoses...the better.

ah thiss is the beauty of learning take off whatever you like it eather works or it dosent i have striped most stuff of every carb as par that most extra stuff is for emitions not for performance or driveabilaty as far as i know you just need vacume advance and the vent to charcoal can and heatriser the rest you should be able to get rid of

I installed a weber with a new 5psi max inline fuel pump, and a holley low psi adjustable regulator from speedway. I have the psi's dialed way down. All I am running is to the carb is vac advance. Vacuum retard I left open to atmosphere, and plugged everything else except the valve cover breathers. They are open as well, with the tubes on so no oil gets blown out. It will now burn rubber. Not that I beat on it, but it runs great.

I don't know about the charcoal can as I am still tracking down a fuel tank. I am currently running off of a 2.5 gallon can in the bed. Rock and roll

I took off almost all the emissions stuff. However the little vacume block thing in front of the carbon is need for the stock carbon to work right.

I can send u a pic of my setup if you would like.

As I am learning more and more about the Brat I love so much, I am finding that a lot of you are taking off carb emissions junk from these gen 1 vehicles.

Again, I am learning but when I look at the carb I see miles of that "junk" and nowhere to begin. What can I safely take off and what is needed? I hear of people blocking off PCV valves and removing the backfire valve, etc..

What can I safely remove from my carb setup on my Gen 1 Brat? What is needed to make a manual choke? Other than buying a Weber what can be done to the Hitachi to make her run better?

Searching is good, I know, but I cannot seem to find definitive answers.

I am about to rip out the entire engine and want to re-seal all of her minus the bottom end, do the clutch, then rebuild the stock carb. I have been told cracking the engine on these EA71's is rarely needed.

Thanks.

Jon