Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear strut - rubber bump stop question

I started on a project this afternoon to replace the rear strut cartridges on my '90 Loyale Sedan. I removed the passenger side strut and while handling it, material resembling bread crumbs started falling out of the upper portion of the assembly. It seems that the upper portion of the strut bumper (#9 on the attached diagram) is, well...gone. The lower portion (the plastic cylinder) is still intact.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/534/loyalerearsusphilite2.jpg/

It seems the bumper is made of some sort of hard foam rubber that got crusty and simply crumbled away.

Can I get one some other place other than Subaru? If someone knows of a generic replacement for this, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!

Amazon's vehicle check says the SB108 will not work for my car (?)

The images shown for the SB108 boot indicate it will need to slip over the strut but the KYB GR-2 struts have a disk welded on top of the cartridge which will prevent anything from slipping over the top.

I suspect there is an error in the reference numbers somewhere.

Amazon's vehicle check says the SB108 will not work for my car (?)

The images shown for the SB108 boot indicate it will need to slip over the strut but the KYB GR-2 struts have a disk welded on top of the cartridge which will prevent anything from slipping over the top.

I suspect there is an error in the reference numbers somewhere.

Look at the KYB application catalog. SB108 is the correct P/N based on the catalog.

http://showmetheparts.com/kyb/

I've used the SB108s on my 87 gl wagon for 5 yrs.

Buy a can of spray silicone & clamp the bottom eye mount in a vise. Apply a generous amount of twisting force to slide the snubber onto the rod. Likewise getting the dust boot onto the snubber.:D

yep, the SB108 is correct, it's the Amazon site that's messed up.

I have another problem now. While trying to reassemble the strut I find that the 2 new top grommets are too tall and leave no exposure of the threads to attach the end nuts.

Even with the spring removed, test fitting the remaining parts reveals that there is not enough shaft length to accommodate the parts. It is the right strut, dimensions are the same as the old one.

The only way I can get everything back on is by using the old grommets which have been "precompressed". There's no obvious way for me to do that with the new grommets.

Any suggestions ?