Ultimate Subaru Message Board

80 gl 1600 4wd

i was just reading a forum in here that was about the difference between a brat dl and a brat gl and one of the differences was that the dl had a single speed transmission and the gl had a dual. i have a station wagon gl should that have a dual rang transmission, because it has always just had high no low so is there a chance that i have dual rang transmission but low is broken or do i have a replaced transmission? is there anyway to find out for sure?

if you have a button on your gear shift its a single range. the dual ranges had a lever on the center console.

idk if there was a single range with a console lever or not, but if you have a lever it will go up once for high range, and then up again for dual.

if you search around you can probably find out how to check the casting on your trans and tell that way.

the ea71 trany only had single range 4wheel drive with a lever, and mikaleda your getting the 1st and 2nd gen brats mixed up the ea71 (1600cc motor) 1st gen brat 1978-81 only had the single range trany(expcept a few 81 brat where made when the new motor (ea81) and trany dual range came out), the 2nd gen brat's where a little different the gl models only came with dual range and the dl models only came with single range, mikaleda your wagon is a single range trany from its year and i had to clear that up sort of a bratohalic have 4 1/2 at home:D

Edited by turbosubarubrat

I'm fairly certain that in 1980 the GL wagon could be either single or dual 4WD.

When pulling the lever up to engage 4WD, does it stop in a position in the middle and then go up to another position? (4wd low at the top, 4wd high at the middle)

If it just has one setting, you have single range.

it has one click but the leaver doesn't go all the way down when disengaged i noticed. here's a pic of my setup in two wheel drive it doesn't ever go any lower than that. one click up its in four wheel drive and i have tried pulling it farther but it won't go and i don't want to force it.

DSCI0327.jpg

DSCI0328.jpg

my moms car wich i mentioned earlier was a 1600 but it had close to 400k miles on it so it could definatly have had a different transmission

what i don't get is if it is a single speed why doesn't the shifter go all the way down? is it possible that it has a dual speed but someone hooked up the linkage incorrectly? is that even possible? this car only has 130k on it so it is more than likely the original transmission and i don't mind to much that it is a single speed transmission. it does good in high gear i was going through a swamped out driveway with it the other day and i didn't really need low gear to get around (not like my sameri it seemed like i had that in four low constantly:lol: ).

Edited by mikaleda