Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 98 Legacy L Sedan and Just FYI...

I replaced the bulb that illuminates the gearshift letters (P-R-N-D-1-2-3) at night when you turn on the headlights. I couldn't find any info on it in Haynes or the owner's manual. I was trying to find out what size it was or the part # for it since you basically have to take the whole center console apart to get to it.

Well, here it is…it's a 12V, 1.7W bulb and you can get a 2-pack at Pep Boys for $1.99. Hope this helps someone. lol

Thanks.

Ed

Well, that helps me by half... When my center console lights work, they are nice and bright. But they only work half of the time! I got as far as removing the shift lever and pulling off the top cover but I couldn't see what to do next. How do I get down to the light bulb?

I've attached a "very" rough sketch if it helps. Take off the handle, plastic console cover and then the 4 GOLD screws holding the assembly to the floor of the car. Lift gently and you'll see where the bulb is. Twist it a quarter turn to remove from the housing and replace.

Let me know if you have any questions/problems.

Ed