Ultimate Subaru Message Board

NE Okie w/86 GL Wagon

Howdy all... my name is Mark and I live in Owasso, Oklahoma (NE of Tulsa)... I recently acquired a 1986 GL Wagon. Everything works (lights, power windows/locks, runs great), but the clutch is shot and the front drive axles need to be replaced. The previous owner has given me all the new parts as well (clutch kit, exaust gaskets, front drive axles and Haynes shop manual). The engine (EA82) runs well with 180k miles clocked. I am the 3rd owner... the second owner did not have it for long and the original owner provided ALL service records since new... this individual was super anal... it's all there... regularly scheduled oil changes, tire changes, general service, everything. A wonderfully maintained vehicle with only one dent in the passenger door.

I'm a fairly handy sort (performed my own vehicle maintenance for years and currently building a full sized airplane), but the front driveaxles look as if they may be a PITA. I've got offers to do the entire job (drive axles/clutch) for $600... may start with that in order to get it back on the road asap.

Anyhow... I look forward to learning what I can on the forum. I hope to put a bit of a lift, some wheels/tires and perhaps a beastly sounding exhaust under this rig. I have reliable transportation, so this is purely a project that I would like to keep streetable/reliable, but make it a suitable chariot for a veteran paratrooper. OD green and flat black paint will soon be in order.

See ya'll around!