Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Turn signal trouble?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 29 March 2004 - 03:47 PM

I'm hooking up brake, turn, reverse lights on Summer (used to be and 82 Hatch in a previous life) and one rear turn signal does not light or flash? On the problem side, the front blinker stays on solid. The other side works fine front and rear? The hazards work fine? I'm using the original wiring harness.

I traced the rear blinker wire and and I'm not getting any volts to the wire at the glove box connector area? The wiring from the front plug (glove box area) is good to the rear light.

Any thoughts on why one side works fine and the other just stays on solid/does not light?:confused:

Thoughts, insults, suggestions?
Glenn
82 Summer, my little Subaru Hummer!
01 Forester, jealous!

#2 greggbrat

greggbrat

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • Denver Colorado

Posted 30 March 2004 - 12:53 AM

I had an old Jeep CJ7 did the same thing. Turned out to be a bad bulb. Think of it like the old christmas tree lights.......if one burns out the whole string goes bad.

Swap the bulbs in the rear and see if the problem follows the bulb. Otherwise take out a Voltage meter and start testing.

#3 dave valiant

dave valiant

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 570 posts
  • Rapid City

Posted 30 March 2004 - 01:25 AM

I had an old Plymouth Valiant I thought was in need of new wiring because 2 lights were burnt out.I would have to agree to check for a burnt bulb.If that isn't your problem I'm afraid I am quite useless to you.

#4 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 30 March 2004 - 01:38 AM

Probably a bad internal connection if you're not getting any power after the switch at all. Do you have a spare turn signal switch you could substitute?

#5 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 30 March 2004 - 11:35 AM

The brighter element (blinker) works with the hazards? but not with the turn?

I guess I need to find the switch plug for the blinker (next plug up the line?) and see if I have volts there?

No spare blinker switch:mad:
Can half a flasher go out?
Will swapping the right and left turns mess with my stop lamp checker?

Still puzzled:confused:
Glenn,
82 Summer, with one messed up rear turn signal
01 Forester, with no messed up turn signals

#6 robm

robm

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 748 posts
  • Terrace, B.C.

Posted 30 March 2004 - 11:46 AM

The front bulb not blinking is typical of a blown bulb, but you checked that, and it was OK, so you checked the power going to the bulb, and found none. Good troubleshooting! Well done.

The turnsignal stalk switch is OK, or else the front wouldn't work at all, likewise the blinker, or else nothing would work. So the problem is between the switch and wherd you looked for power going to the bulb and didn't find it. Check all the connectors back to the switch until you find where the power disappears. Probably a bad connector somewhere.

#7 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 30 March 2004 - 12:26 PM

Glenn.. it sounds like everything is all screwed up.. you should just give up and give summer to me.. I promise to give (him/her/it) a good home :)

#8 nicky nighteyes

nicky nighteyes

top billin'

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • Berkeley

Posted 30 March 2004 - 01:11 PM

I am having the same prob with my turn signals, except neither of them blink. they just light up solid. Haven't had a chance to dig into em yet because i have been packing/moving. But let me know if you find anything out with yours.

good luck

#9 nicky nighteyes

nicky nighteyes

top billin'

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • Berkeley

Posted 30 March 2004 - 01:12 PM

BTW calebz your new avatar rocks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users