Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turn signal trouble?

I'm hooking up brake, turn, reverse lights on Summer (used to be and 82 Hatch in a previous life) and one rear turn signal does not light or flash? On the problem side, the front blinker stays on solid. The other side works fine front and rear? The hazards work fine? I'm using the original wiring harness.

I traced the rear blinker wire and and I'm not getting any volts to the wire at the glove box connector area? The wiring from the front plug (glove box area) is good to the rear light.

Any thoughts on why one side works fine and the other just stays on solid/does not light?:confused:

Thoughts, insults, suggestions?

Glenn

82 Summer, my little Subaru Hummer!

01 Forester, jealous!

I had an old Jeep CJ7 did the same thing. Turned out to be a bad bulb. Think of it like the old christmas tree lights.......if one burns out the whole string goes bad.

Swap the bulbs in the rear and see if the problem follows the bulb. Otherwise take out a Voltage meter and start testing.

The brighter element (blinker) works with the hazards? but not with the turn?

I guess I need to find the switch plug for the blinker (next plug up the line?) and see if I have volts there?

No spare blinker switch:mad:

Can half a flasher go out?

Will swapping the right and left turns mess with my stop lamp checker?

Still puzzled:confused:

Glenn,

82 Summer, with one messed up rear turn signal

01 Forester, with no messed up turn signals

The front bulb not blinking is typical of a blown bulb, but you checked that, and it was OK, so you checked the power going to the bulb, and found none. Good troubleshooting! Well done.

The turnsignal stalk switch is OK, or else the front wouldn't work at all, likewise the blinker, or else nothing would work. So the problem is between the switch and wherd you looked for power going to the bulb and didn't find it. Check all the connectors back to the switch until you find where the power disappears. Probably a bad connector somewhere.