Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front turn signals out (91 Legacy)

Can somebody help me diagnose this further? I suspect faulty wiring somewhere, or a bad ground, but it's difficult to get started. Here is my (very frustrating) situation:

Back left and right turn signals work fine via either hazard or indicator lever, but front ones do not

Front left and right lamps are lit when the H/L's are on, but will not flash.

They >were< flashing recently.

So where is the best place to begin to diagnose this? Since there is power to the left and right front lights, I presume I should start at either the turn signal lever or the flasher unit.

Any advice most appreciated.

-Nick

I'm assuming you have a 91 US spec legacy correct?

I also assume you're talking about the corner lenses right next to the headlights correct?

If so....they are not meant to blink. The turn signals for these cars is in the bumper.

You can see a nice pic of the lights on my car

legacyzymol.jpg

• 7 months later...

Would this applies to a 90' Canadian Legacy AWD Auto Sedan. My looking/finding this thread these last few hours has been a great help. I Failed my safety for these not working. The owners manual that you (Legacy777) have made available refers to them as "combo" lights. What would be the "combo" part? I thought turn/park signal? If not, then what? Hey, I'll be very happy hearing they're not signal lamps.

I'm assuming you have a 91 US spec legacy correct?

I also assume you're talking about the corner lenses right next to the headlights correct?

If so....they are not meant to blink. The turn signals for these cars is in the bumper.

You can see a nice pic of the lights on my car

legacyzymol.jpg

Would this applies to a 90' Canadian Legacy AWD Auto Sedan. My looking/finding this thread these last few hours has been a great help. I Failed my safety for these not working. The owners manual that you (Legacy777) have made available refers to them as "combo" lights. What would be the "combo" part? I thought turn/park signal? If not, then what? Hey, I'll be very happy hearing they're not signal lamps.

On the 1990-1991 MY's US & Canada models, the markers on the side next to the headlamps do not blink. They're not supposed to. Only the orange blinkers under the bumper.

Can you tell me where you saw in the manual that they were referred to as combo lights?

I'm very impressed with the photograph of your car. Better technical skills than most pictures I've seen in Subaru brochures.

Thanks! I appreciate it :)

Here's some more from that batch of photos if you want to take a look

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/legacyzymol/

Here's the latest ones I took after my tranny swap project.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/legswap/20/

Page 9-39.

Now, I'm hoping your correct and the combo part is the reflector. :)

On the 1990-1991 MY's US & Canada models, the markers on the side next to the headlamps do not blink. They're not supposed to. Only the orange blinkers under the bumper.

Can you tell me where you saw in the manual that they were referred to as combo lights?

Thanks......BTW, I did get my MVI passed...just went and told another mechanic that I replaced the bulb. He was happy with that. Interesting thing was the first guy said it was just the left-front side blinker that was not working. I should have dared them to get the right one working too, if I didn't think that I'd be cited for two not working. Makes me think how did he ever actually see the right one working, only to fail the left?

ahh ok, I see where it says combo light. Yeah it's just a side marker.