Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hidden meanings?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Singularity21

Singularity21

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Rexburg, Idaho

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:30 PM

I've recently driven my '78 wagon down to Utah from Idaho and it's had is fun marking it's territory but it has decided today would be a good day to show it's brake light and "CHG" light simultaneously. Any insight? I haven't been able to pick up a Haynes or Chiltons manual for it yet.

#2 Datsunrides

Datsunrides

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • Hollister-Nor Cal

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:57 AM

Have the charging system checked. Most likely an alternator/regulator failure.

Mark

#3 Singularity21

Singularity21

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Rexburg, Idaho

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:42 PM

The alternator surely had crapped out. Actually came to a complete standstill in Pocatello at 1:45am. I had a buddy bring down the alternator out of my 91 Loyale an the little car fired up and tore its way back to Rexburg. Funny thing about that alternator was that it kept the wagon running after the key was turned to the off position. Any who, the alternator was replaced and while digging around it looks as though it was once fitted with a turbo. Does anyone have evidence that these old wagons were turbo'd? I'd love to hook one up if anyone happened to know where I could get a simple turbo to add a smidge of power?

#4 Datsunrides

Datsunrides

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • Hollister-Nor Cal

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

The newer alt is internally regulated, where the original has an external regulator. What probably happened was the newer alt was backfeeding power after the switch due to crosswiring. As for the turbo, unless it was an aftermarket kit, these did not come turbo from the factory untill later in life. What leads you to believe it was turbo? You can't just bolt on a turbo to a carb'd car. There is a lot involved.

Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users