Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Since it was nice out yesterday, I got my first chance to give the Outback a decent wash. To my horror, I noticed that the welded seam inside the hood on the driver's side has a bunch of rust bubbles under the paint- about a 12" strip of them. In a couple spots, the paint is already beginning to come off. I've been driving in Cleveland for 25 years and I've never had a car that started rusting this quickly.

WTF?!?

My '93 didn't show any rust until it was 8 years old. This looks like bad paint prep to me- don't know if it's covered under warranty.

All this stuff is really starting to sour my opinion of SOA; first it was all the interior bulbs crapping out, then the head gaskets, now a 3-year-old car that's rusting. I love my AWD, but this negative stuff is adding up fast.

Ohhh don't worry... I have an 03 and found rust around the back window of my car after the first winter... ohhh that only has like a 5000 mile warrenty... I told them I had a bumper to bumper 36k warrenty.. but they said that the paint was only covered in the first few...

I said #^@% it, I'll go get a new paint job in a few years and thats what I'll do.. No use in fighting a battle I know I won't win.

Since it was nice out yesterday, I got my first chance to give the Outback a decent wash. To my horror, I noticed that the welded seam inside the hood on the driver's side has a bunch of rust bubbles under the paint- about a 12" strip of them. In a couple spots, the paint is already beginning to come off. I've been driving in Cleveland for 25 years and I've never had a car that started rusting this quickly.

WTF?!?

My '93 didn't show any rust until it was 8 years old. This looks like bad paint prep to me- don't know if it's covered under warranty.

All this stuff is really starting to sour my opinion of SOA; first it was all the interior bulbs crapping out, then the head gaskets, now a 3-year-old car that's rusting. I love my AWD, but this negative stuff is adding up fast.

You're not alone. I'll never, ever, buy a US-built Subaru again. In fact, I'll never buy a Subaru with the crap-can 2.5 again.

Its disappointing, been there, had that. My 97 OBW LTD had a similar problem on the leading edge of the hood, lowest section next to the driver's headlight. In fact the rust bubble, about half a pea size, was just starting to peek its ugly head when I noticed it for the first time. I raised the hood and, with a pump oil can, I flooded the inside seam with motor oil to stop further damage. Up until I sold the car 2 years ago, I reflooded the area every other month with oil, and the rust spot never grew any larger, or broke through.

Subaru paint sucks. It fades, chips off, rusts, etc.

But its something I learn to deal with...heh.

I have rust bubbles on the drivers side rear wheel well of my 1995 Legacy...its the only visable rust on the outside of the body.

Rust on my 03 Forester wheel nuts two weeks after purchase. I didn't bother the dealer about it because I had more important stuff going wrong with it (stalling on startup, rough idle, clunking noise on startup, lighterfluid like smell). Too bad, its a great car otherwise, but not like my old Subarus at all. I never had to go back to the dealer for warranty issues until this one. It will be the last. Ford buyers are used to that sort of stuff, Subaru loyalists are not.

This is really starting to scare me. I'm not getting rid of my old Scoobs anytime soon, I'm just too in love with them. But let's face facts here: they're doomed to failure eventually. I will have to replace them someday. But I don't know if I'm going to replace them with a new Subaru. The stories I read and the business tactics I've seen is really making me wonder what Subaru's future is. It seems like they're "selling out." Now that the WRX is here, many customers are drawn to the whole line of Subarus, even if they don't get a Rex. So I think Subaru is just throwing cars together as cost-effectively as they can to boost their sales figures. Joybell is 100% correct too: us long-time loyalists are not going to be happy about it. And Subaru can't afford to be throwing all their loyalists out, they make up too much of the demographic.

I've owned a 90 loyale that went to 130,000 without any mechanical defects and just a bit of rust on the tailgate when I totalled it.

I then got a 1997 OB Ltd two years ago with 60,000 miles on it, and got upsidedown on the loan when the heads warped at 104K, without any substantial rust on it except where there were pebble chips.

Now I have a 2004 OB, which I hope will make it to 60,000 miles, and still have enough resale to sell it, and escape this subaru vortex. They are spiralling down fast over there. How come there aren't any Subaru employees on this board refuting these claims, or offering some assistance?

ARRGH!

I dunno I see a lot more hyundais and dodges in the shop at the subaru/hyundai/dodge/jeep dealer than I do Subarus, except for the soobs in the oil change bay. It's prolly safe to assume that for every one person on here that has some problem with their soob, there are prolly 10 who don't. But I do agree, they sure don;t make them like they used to.

It's prolly safe to assume that for every one person on here that has some problem with their soob, there are prolly 10 who don't.

I'm sure that's true; you do get a somewhat skewed view of the world here because nobody's gonna post "2001 OBW- No Problems" to balance out the negative posts.

I'm just really down about all this stuff- I waited a long time to upgrade myself out of these stupid problems and here they are again; seemingly way ahead of schedule...

If you wan't to base your next purchase by what you read on this board, I think thats a little crazy. :drunk: For every one complaint here, there are a million other happily satisfied customers. Fact is, there will be defect in a certain % of any product. Here is the rust warranty:

Rust Perforation Limited Warranty

Coverage: 5 Years / Unlimited Mileage

The rust perforation warranty covers your Subaru for five years, regardless of how many miles you drive during that time. Defective original body sheet metal panels that are rusted completely through from the inside out (perforated by corrosion) will be repaired or, at the option of SOA or your authorized Subaru dealer, replaced without charge to you for labor and materials.

The complete list of parts covered under these warranties is included in your Subaru Warranty and Maintenance Booklet. That booklet also contains other important information about your Rust Perforation Limited Warranty including additional coverages, limitations, and your responsibilities under this warranty. Please read your booklet carefully. If you’re not sure about whether a specific failure on your Subaru is covered, your Subaru dealer will be able to inspect your vehicle and answer any questions you have.

Get a different dealer and get this taken care of :)

Good Luck,

Kevin

I had a discussion with my dealer on this rust issue. He told me that "there have to be holes before the 5 years is up" in order for the warranty to kick in. Holes! Let's see....that would be two years of no rust, one year of bubbles under the paint, one year of paint coming off the bubbles and rust showing, and in the last warranty year (maybe) a hole "starting". That pretty well makes the warranty useless. I think all car manufacturers have this same kind of warranty. I have heard of a VW 12 year rust preforation warranty but is it true?

Kevin....you are very lucky. I just noticed that you have an Impreza with a 2.2L engine, and so does my mom. Those are great cars, very reliable and problem free, with the exception of a rear wheel bearing that was replaced under warranty. Hang on to it. My mom decided last month not to trade her 1998 in just yet! It has absolutely no rust spots at all, even having been driven 7 winters of salted roads and no dealer or aftermarket rustproofing ever done to it.

Maybe someone could make money selling «rust accelerator» for the last year before the end of warranty :rolleyes:

In may case, 96 Brighton, the only place I have had rust (after 8 years) is at the center portion of the driver's side rear wheel well (just on the edge). That was because part of the inside plastic liner had broken off and that section was sand blasted by the rear wheel while driving over dirt roads. That was repaired.

No visible body rust anywhere else right now and streets here are covered with salt almost all winter long. I'm crossing my fingers...

Salt isn't the only culprit. Humidity/moisture is bad too. Parking the car on your lawn is a big no-no, as is leaving it muddy. The mud attracts and retains moisture. Also, a heated garage is not good when the car goes in wet in the winter. This was told to me by a local body repair guy, who gave my Forester an "oil-treatment" last fall.

I have heard the heated garage thing before. My garage is underground (basement + garage = barage), and I have never seen it colder than 40°F, usually close to 50°F without the wood stove going, or up to 90°F+ with the stove(oops, open a door or something would ya!). It does make sense that melting the salty crap every night and letting it into all of the nooks and crannies can't be a good thing. Getting into a 40°F car when it's -10°F out, not having to scrape, it's definately worth the extra rust. Not to mention how much better for the engine and other systems it is.

I think washing and waxing are probably pretty important too. Two things I don't do very often. Living on a dirt road makes it all seem pointless.

You're not alone. I'll never, ever, buy a US-built Subaru again. In fact, I'll never buy a Subaru with the crap-can 2.5 again.

When did subaru quit making the legacy in Japan? I know they have a factory here just wondering what years are japan built vs us built?

Thanks

I sympathize with you guys and your rust.. I'm so mad.. my wagon has a surface rust spot the size of a quarter on the gate.. and the car is only 17 years old..UNACCEPTABLE!!:mad:

You must keep your wagon on a 5 ft high rock pile, with a roof over it, and never use it when it's wet outside! Seriously, what's your secret?

You must keep your wagon on a 5 ft high rock pile, with a roof over it, and never use it when it's wet outside! Seriously, what's your secret?
Its a washington car. Only 3-4 of my 60+ cars over the years have had serious rust issues.. I would say 80% of them have been washington cars... and on top of that.. I live in texas now.. no one here has ever seen rust:)

It sees as much mud and water and rough conditions as I can possibly find down here.. when it rains, some of the roads here flood.. makes it great for me.. I just pick the lane with the most water and least traffic.. put it in 4wd and go

Not washing and waxing your car because its only going to get dirty again is the excuse we all use.

But it really wont help your car.

When you leave the dirt on your car, you letting all that crap in the dirt eat at your paint and body of your car, and its not so much the visible dirt you have to worry about, its all the crud in your wheel wells and door jams and areas that are hard to get to like the boot and bonnet.

When i wash my car i always pop the boot and hood, get an old yukky looking (but clean) chamois and get all the water and dirt out of all the little crevices.

have a look at where your car is rusting, and provided its not a fault in the panel that existed before the rust developed, try to figure out why its rusting there and in no other place, im sure with a little time and tracing dirt marks and you will see it.

some people are doomed to get rust because of where they live and the conditions they drive in, but you should at least be able to slow it down a little with some proventitive maintenance. And a bit of elbow grease and wax is a lot cheaper than re-spraying new panels every couple of years.

my red wagon was 22 years old when I gave it to shan, the only rust was where I reversed into a gas station pole and smacked it out with a sledge hammer and a crow bar. I never painted it. it was a califormnia ski car/mudder. my legacy here has 1 perforation and 2 rust spots. I now live in the north of englans, and my legacy is 12 years old. It sounds like there is an issue with the new paints or galvinisation. remember all the white for tourus and mazdas and mercedes that pealed paint off in hte late 80s - mid 90's? if you want to spee dup the rust, pour HCl on it (acid from a pool store). the rust will come right off, so will the metal, and it will start rusting again. wear gloves and goggles.