Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing chain on 2004 H6 6-cylinder 3.0L EX30

I have a 2004 outback wagon, Anniversary model, with about 140,000 miles. It has the H6 6-cylinder 3.0L EZ30 engine. I have read that it has a timing chain with no set replacement interval and is intended to last the lifetime of the engine. Is this really the case?, or would it be prudent to replace the timing chain now at 140,000?

Any advise is much appreciated!

They have proven to be reliable well past 300k miles. Don't touch it. Subaru's timing chain setup is amazingly reliable - in fact they have adopted it for the new FB 4 cylinder engines that came out in '11. It's also extremely expensive to repair or replace should it have to be. There's something like 117 bolts that hold on the front cover.

The biggest problem the H6's have is the AC belt tensioner bearing :-p.

GD

what he said. great motor with few issues. change the oil and never let it run hot or low on oil and that motor will make 300,000 miles rather easily.

The biggest problem the H6's have is the AC belt tensioner bearing
and idler bearing as well - same bearing number and issue.

there's a sticky here about that issue, at 140,000 miles one has probably already failed at some point or will. luckily they can be fixed in a matter of minutes for a few bucks. very easy repair.

Thanks for the advise on the timing chain, and the other common problems to look for, guys! I would love to get 300,000 out of this car. This has been a great car, very fun to drive despite being an automatic, and much more trouble free than my previous 88 Legacy wagon that I had until 04. Only unexpected repair was replacing the drive shaft at 110,000.

I recently was handed down a 2006 Tribeca with almost 140,000 miles but the car has been in the family since new and and it's been trouble free with the EZ30 so far *knocks on wood*

I've put over 100k personally on my 1998 EJ25 Legacy and I definitely cannot say it has anywhere close to the same track record, that's for sure :)

Like GD said, AC tensioner belt bearings need to be replaced when they start to squeal but it took him like 15 minutes to do both of them for me. The dealer will only sell you the two entire assemblies for close to $250 dollars but the two bearings from NAPA are like $20 bucks.

• 4 months later...