Ultimate Subaru Message Board

home made roof rack pics

we call it the roock raf...by buddy Jackson was very tired the morning we left to go camping...he told me "nice roock raf" and it stuck...it is made of 1/2'' steel square tubing, mig welded by yours truly and my roommate, Brown (Im a rookie welder). it mounts to the stock rack's rails via 6 points and held 2 full coolers, a tent, tarp, chairs, and sleeping bags for 400+ mile with no probs. total cost...under $20...im proud of it:D tell me what you think...

post-3036-136027591806_thumb.jpg

post-3036-136027591813_thumb.jpg

post-3036-136027591816_thumb.jpg

post-3036-136027591818_thumb.jpg

nice:slobber:

I like the attachment to the stock rails. must make it real easy to hook up.

you just got a few extra roof rack slider nuts?QUOTE]

I actually had 3 slider nuts per side so two were unused...I snagged some bolts off my wrecked civic to hold down the other two:-p

Thanks for looking everyone! If anyone wants measurements/details let me know...it was not too hard to make...couple hours total...it was my first welding/metal project so Im sure any of you could do it too

i would love to make something like that, but the lack of a factory roof rack is hindering it. i might just go find a old rack that hooks to the rain gutters for another car, and cut and build off that frame for mine.

but again, very nice job.

I make them with stock mounts, and rain gutter mounts, and they are 3X stronger if it is a rain gutter clamp! The stock mounting points hold up for a while, but then the stock mounts start to pull out of the roof

:eek:

With the gutter clamps they are solid as a ROCK! ;)