Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lift 98 Legacy GT Sedan

MrSkippy

Greetings all. I have 2 Green 98 Legacy GT Sedans (2.5L). One is a Manual with leather (Mine) one is an Auto with Cloth (Kids). I love Subies and I figured getting 2 nearly matching cars would make car repairs easier in the long run. Including trouble shooting problems. And Knock on wood if the kid totals hers I will have a parts car :)

My Kids 98 Legacy GT Sedan (auto) needs new struts. We live in Denver CO and the car does do good on snowy roads (as expected). But we often get some larger snow dumps and because the Legacy Sedan is low to the ground the car ends up "plowing" snow.

SO, I thought since I have to replace the struts anyways I would try and lift the car a little while I was at it.

I have searched and read that putting in Outback Struts would add ~1.5" without camber kits or Rally spacers.

BUT. When I check the Part numbers for KYB or Monroe struts for the 98 Legacy Sedan (L or GT) I get the same part numbers as I do when searching for 98 Outback Wagon.

What am I missing here?

KYB Part numbers 334115(RR), 334116(LR),334111(FR) ,334112(FL)

If someone has the correct P/N I need to get a small lift using struts (or struts and spacers, no camber kit) please post.

thanks in advance.

Ok I may have found my own answer

I was looking up part numbers on the oreilly auto and amazon

When to KYBs web site and found their online catalog.

http://showmetheparts.com/kyb/

They do show different P/N for the outback application

KYB 335020(RR), 335021(RL), 235632(FR), 235633(FL).

So should I just do Struts or do struts and spacers?

Opinions?

Pretty sure that Outback strut assemblies give more than 1.5" of lift, but regardless, if you use spacers on top if them, you don't really want to have more than 2" over stock. Your cv axles will wear much faster if you do. And I hope you're using Outback springs too. If you use Legacy springs on the Outback struts, your struts will wear out quite fast.

And I hope you're using Outback springs too. If you use Legacy springs on the Outback struts, your struts will wear out quite fast.

No they won't. The free length of the springs is nearly the same. And the extra height in the strut is all in the "bottom" of the strut tube. Overall travel is nearly identical as well.

there's no reason legacy springs would "wear out" a new set of struts.

With the first gen cars you have to use the legacy spring and tophats in the rear.

So you have done this on a 2nd Gen Legacy? What brand OB Struts did you use? Do you happen to have a picture of how the car looks with OB struts?

It was done to a 99 Legacy L sedan that my girlfriend had. Just swapped in used Outback strut assemblies. Here is a pic

015.jpg

No they won't. The free length of the springs is nearly the same. And the extra height in the strut is all in the "bottom" of the strut tube. Overall travel is nearly identical as well.

there's no reason legacy springs would "wear out" a new set of struts.

With the first gen cars you have to use the legacy spring and tophats in the rear.

i agree 100%. i had a 90 legacy lifted with outback struts with stock legacy springs and top hats. no problems. i ran it for quite a few years. i also currently have a 96 legacy lifted the same way with stock springs and hats. springs are pretty much the same betweent the legacy and outback. foresters struts i believe give the lift from the taller springs. this is why the outback struts have more tire to spring perch clearance than the forester struts. here's a pic of my 2 legacy's. the outback struts seem to lift the first gen legacys a bit more than the second gen's

SANY0410.jpg

That info about the Forester struts is only for the 98-02. The 03-08 Forester strut is almost the same as the Outback strut, the spring perch is higher like the Outback.

yup i know, just didn't feel the need to add that info in there

yup i know, just didn't feel the need to add that info in there

Yet you made the clear distinction between Outback and Forester struts......If you're going to give info, give the full and correct info about the topic. You made it sound as though Outback and Forester struts were different when in fact only certain years really were. I just wanted to clarify. Sorry if I'm coming across as an rump roast, been a bad night.

And I hope you're using Outback springs too. If you use Legacy springs on the Outback struts, your struts will wear out quite fast.

if you look back at the original question it was about outback struts. i only brought up the forester struts because of your comment above. he was not asking about forester struts therefore that information was of no use to him anyway. i was directing that info tward you. you were wrong about the springs and i was just clarifying that he did not need to use outback springs because of the fact that the stock legacy springs are just about(if not) identical. i know this from my own experience and research. i just assumed you thought the springs were different because you have a forester, and impreza springs are shorter than forester springs and you probably thought the same was true about legacy vs outback.

Edited by pamike

It's all good man. I still say the springs are different, and that's from my own personal experience, but I guess I'd have to check it out again. I wonder if the spring rates are different between the 2, which could make a difference on strut longevity as well.

not sure about the spring rates but sedan vs wagon are probably different rates. height of the spring is the same though. but i had my 90 lifted for probably 4-5 years and it seen alot of offroading and i never had any issues. struts were still working as they should when i sold it.

not sure about the spring rates but sedan vs wagon are probably different rates. height of the spring is the same though. but i had my 90 lifted for probably 4-5 years and it seen alot of offroading and i never had any issues. struts were still working as they should when i sold it.

The thing is, your 90 had different style springs then what is on the newer Legacy's, for the rear anyway. So I wonder if that's why my experience is different.

i don't believe the rear springs are different. i think it's just the top hats that are different because of the different bolt parrern but i'm not 100% sure on that. but anyway i currently have a 96 legacy with the outback struts also and i've had no issues with it either. it's the wifes daily driver. both are in the pic i posted yesterday. i do know that the same setup on a first gen legacy seems to lift a bit more than the second gen cars.

Edited by pamike

• 3 years later...