Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New option for an 82 Brat rear bumper

I was scouring the junkyards again for a rear bumper replacement for my 82 Brat. My original rear bumper was a mangled mess when I bought the Brat.

And I found a steel rear bumper with a hitch ball from a 1979 Chevrolet LUV pickup truck that is almost a direct bolt in. And the chevy bumper is about 59.5 inches which is the perfect width for the Brat. The hitch ball is lowered on the bumper so there is no issue with opening the tailgate with the new bumper installed.

Installation: The original "bumper mounts" on the Brat are bolted in the frame tubes on the differential side of the tube (ie. towards the center of the vehicle). To install the new bumper I just need to drill the same holes on the outside of the tubes, cut the mounting arms from the chevy bumper a bit shorter, drill holes in the mounting arms to match my newly drilled "frame tube holes" and bolt it in.......no welding involved!!! Actually the new installation will be stronger than the original bumper because the "ousides" of the frame tubes are already strenghtened by the tow hooks that are welded on that side of the frame tube.

I really like the idea of having a hitch. Not that I am going to be towing very much or very far with my whopping 70hp EA81 motor but its nice to have for the occasional task.

This is the photo of the bumper installed. The bumper is going to get a good coating of Rhinoliner. Bumper hitch and everything! This came off a 79 chevy luv pickup......which was made for Chevy by Isuzu. Perhaps all the little chevy/Isuzu trucks have this same bumper.

Gregg

post-3485-136027591847_thumb.jpg

When I drilled the holes in the bumper support brackets (which came off the donor vehicle using a grinder) I didnt take into account that there was a little bit of play in the bolt holes. If you drill the holes just right it will sit an inch higher.

I dont even know what the original bumper on the brat looks like........mine was a mangled mess from a bit of rear end damage.

A nice coat of rhinoliner makes all the difference. here is a photo of the bumper the way it should look. The hitch is a wonderful addition.

This brat has gone through some major body work and rust removal. The Chevy Luv bumper is on, its primed and ready to be painted.

Any suggestions on color? It used to be a gold color and it has a brown/tan interior.

Thanks,

Gregg

post-3485-136027591925_thumb.jpg

The bumper requires the bumper support mounts (that go in the frame tubes) to be about 35 inches apart. My new bumper has them about 35 inches but the bumper mounts do allow for a little bit of give. Take a look at how your bumper mounts to find out.

Just take some measurements from your car and then head out to a junkyard with a tape measure to see what might work. You can always make your own bumper mount brackets if need be.