Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale, 93, "Tin can"

tincan

It's not perfect, but far better than it's previous state.

Some patience, gray paint, and three clear coats later:

IMAG0019.jpg

That's what I like to see.

IMAG0020.jpg

Though a bit darker than I'd have liked. It's what I had on hand and I'm alright with that.

IMAG0022.jpg

IMAG0023.jpg

Note the spots where the tape got lousy on me.

IMAG0026.jpg

Yeah. Again, tape got lousy on me.

IMAG0027.jpg

No longer looking at crappy, faded, and otherwise ugly paint. For that much, and a completely hand aligned taping job, with spray cans, I'm pretty satisfied.

• Like 1

Nice car. I have that same car but in white and I can see the aluminum on my engine instead of black grease lol. I can see you are lovingly restoring it.  I missed the odometer reading in one of the pics. Was that 276,000 ? :o

-200,000. Now 77,000 as of Friday.

IMAG0028.jpg

And a few extra.

Yeah, the engine seals are a known issue. I intended to do them last year, until I found the garage I had it in for a week was ridden with mold, where it started growing mold on the carpet. I caught it in time that it didn't seep in and continue.

Fingers crossed, this winter, along with some professional assistance, it's getting done. No more "Oh I'll put it in this random person's garage".

As will the new downpipes and exhaust. Ordering the Ansa muffler that is made for this car, from JCWhitney. Performance based, stock style muffler, $109? Sure. Why not.

Edited by tincan

• 2 weeks later...

Another 500 mile journey for the Ecoboxer...

Starting off, I took a wrong turn from I-87, and wound up five miles from the "Mass Pike", nearly 70 miles off course. What happened after that was all merely inconvenient mishaps, for the next several days.

Upon backtracking, the exhaust began to get noticiably loud, and the power had dropped quite a bit. I changed my habits, drove under the speed limit (55 > 65), and prayed...

Leaving the toll booth, top of I-88... a mile later...

As if I'm standing still, a Trooper in an SRT-8 comes hauling rump roast from behind...

Right past me.

The stare, in awe, being fully impressed. Kept my fingers crossed, and never saw him again.

Got in around 3am, very tired, running on the fuel light. Went right inside, laid down, fell asleep. Next morning...

IMAG0089-1.jpg

Pop. Removed the rear seats, jammed it in there, tied the trunk down with RJ-11 cable, drove into Oneonta, $103 later...

IMAG0099.jpg

Fixed.

I'm also missing my shielding now. It's saved, but, I won't put it back on just yet.

This is just Thursday at this rate... Filled up the tank Saturday afternoon, and during that, checking the tires... I found my pass. rear tire was low. Inflated to normal.

Next morning... Again, low. Get the pressure gauge out; 14psi. *Censored*! Get out a bottle, dump some soap/warm water in...

IMAG0110.jpg

Double *censored*!

Grab the spare...

IMAG0111.jpg

Should'a seen this coming. :banghead:

IMAG0112.jpg

Cool.

On a 1992 Spare, 3 hours off schedule, I made my way home, taking a longer route to Liberty... No phone service... GPS' get very confused in the mountains... On some very tempting roads. Despite that, I took my time and avoided abusing the car, being laden with a full tank and several hundred pounds extra of luggage in the car.

IMAG0113.jpg

Well, this has been fun.

Gave me a lot of time to think, read, and research, particularly about the car's future.

Hours, into a day, into several days.

My mind is made up.

It's time.

Lol! That sucks about the tire mishap. Exhaust too. I see you're up to 78k. I'm catching up to you though, just pulled a500 mile trip in mine, I'm half way to 76k now.

I like your run down with the pictures and all. What's it time for I wonder?

Here's some rather rough mock-up sheet metal work I pulled off, in an effort to do some drag reduction along the undercarriage. It needs further testing here and there, as well as overall improvements to appearance, but function > form for the time being.

IMAG0142.jpg

Having folded out the center piece, I test fitted it with some clamps. Looks promising.

As well as the side areas, same deal, lining it up and clamping into a suitable position. There was a lot of bending/rebending to get these parts right so they wouldn't catch the tires, but they fit well.

IMAG0146.jpg

Hadn't enough progress shots for this, but after an hour or so of adjusting, they were bolted on.

IMAG0147.jpg

And yesterday, bending out the last two pieces.

IMAG0150.jpg

Considering this is all hand bent, snip cut, minimal measurement, I didn't expect it to come out half as well. Or even fit...

Edited by tincan

• 1 year later...

Another long hiatus, more miles to tack onto the car.

The good:

Whole set of extra 13" wheels

skid plate.

New valve covers/gaskets, cam gaskets, clutch plate, throwout, A/C fully evac'ed and refreshed.

Rebuilt drums.

Alternator replaced with a 500 mi unit.

The bad:

The rust has become a primary concern on the rear wheel wells. Upcoming week will bring something unique that is in the works.

Apparently plowed snow can injure the quarter panels nicely.

Air deflector is a bust. Removed.

RUST?!

The ugly:

Droplets of water in the oil. Not a lot, but that's a thing. Oil droplets on the radiator cap. Also a thing.

Front struts are dead. Doornail dead. Front tires have suffered.

Otherwise, things are about to happen. Probably should have changed those head gaskets and all that while the valve covers were being done, but hindsight and all that jazz. The plus is that I connected with someone local who has an excess of parts sitting aside for me which were pulled after 500 miles or just never used.

Mentionable: anyone need an A/C delete bracket and belts to use it with? I won't use them.

Photos of things to come later. Probably.

• 2 weeks later...

You've got less than 100k miles on that beauty?

Yes, still. Although less than 1K from the big 90K now.

I do however wish I could take back the now-crushed bumper mount. Long story, sparing details!

It does get a lot of attention locally. Including people leaning on the horn when I'm leaving a stop light too slowly FOR THEIR IMPATIENT LIKINGS LOL

No actually that's my favorite part haha.

• 3 weeks later...

20141009_074223.jpg

New stabilizer bar end clips, bushings, and strut rod bushings. Spared nothing for cost and purchased from Star Subaru. The ones that were removed had already been replaced and seemingly not long before I got the car so that solidified a decision to use only Subaru parts from here on out.

20141010_172112.jpg

Left to right; dented and out of balance rim painted red to indicate such, and the previously flat black/now semi gloss rims from the car.

Next up: engine mounts, front struts, alignment, and studded tires.

20141031_071012.jpg

It's so close now. I'm expected to touch the 90K mark between today and Sunday.

Some early morning threading before I hit the clock; TGIF!!

20141029_070146.jpg

Gotta admit, the LG G3 takes some outstanding photographs.

20141031_070935.jpg

Shop and some light duty trucks in the background there.

Scratch that poll; I made the decision that's a year and a half due.

Next update: April 2015

Edited by tincan
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Late update, as always.

Actually, my last update to this thread, as I've sold my beloved little 'Can.

I won't announce who bought it, just that they had a big 'ol smile during the whole 20+ mile test drive.

Exit, stage right? No, will probably just follow it in the same fashion to see where it gets to go. :)

Final mileage, 94,210

Edited by tincan

Late update, as always.

Actually, my last update to this thread, as I've sold my beloved little 'Can.

I won't announce who bought it, just that they had a big 'ol smile during the whole 20+ mile test drive.

Exit, stage right? No, will probably just follow it in the same fashion to see where it gets to go. :)

Final mileage, 94,210

20150619_081839_zps4pmxte0q.jpg

IT'S ME!!! WHOOOOOOO!!! TIN CAN! TIN CAN! TIN CAN! TIN CAN!

Thank you to user tincan for selling him to me. I will carry the torch proud!

My thread for the ongoing saga of the TIn Can here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/154228-the-ongoing-saga-of-the-tin-can/