Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Loyale, 93, "Tin can"

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 tincan

tincan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Carmel, NY

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:21 PM

It's not perfect, but far better than it's previous state.

Some patience, gray paint, and three clear coats later:

IMAG0019.jpg

That's what I like to see.

IMAG0020.jpg

Though a bit darker than I'd have liked. It's what I had on hand and I'm alright with that.

IMAG0022.jpg

IMAG0023.jpg

Note the spots where the tape got lousy on me.

IMAG0026.jpg

Yeah. Again, tape got lousy on me.

IMAG0027.jpg

No longer looking at crappy, faded, and otherwise ugly paint. For that much, and a completely hand aligned taping job, with spray cans, I'm pretty satisfied.

#27 tincan

tincan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Carmel, NY

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

Nice car. I have that same car but in white and I can see the aluminum on my engine instead of black grease lol. I can see you are lovingly restoring it.  I missed the odometer reading in one of the pics. Was that 276,000 ? :o

-200,000. Now 77,000 as of Friday.

IMAG0028.jpg

And a few extra.

Yeah, the engine seals are a known issue. I intended to do them last year, until I found the garage I had it in for a week was ridden with mold, where it started growing mold on the carpet. I caught it in time that it didn't seep in and continue.

Fingers crossed, this winter, along with some professional assistance, it's getting done. No more "Oh I'll put it in this random person's garage".

As will the new downpipes and exhaust. Ordering the Ansa muffler that is made for this car, from JCWhitney. Performance based, stock style muffler, $109? Sure. Why not.

Edited by tincan, 04 August 2013 - 08:27 PM.

#28 l75eya

l75eya

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,460 posts
  • Hoboken, NJ

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

Let me know next time you're in Jersey! Would love to see that thing. Also, do you still have the trim and mud flaps? Planning on keeping them?

#29 tincan

tincan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Carmel, NY

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:56 AM

Let's see who can guess where I am this week.

IMAG0095.jpg

#30 tincan

tincan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Carmel, NY

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:29 AM

Another 500 mile journey for the Ecoboxer...

Starting off, I took a wrong turn from I-87, and wound up five miles from the "Mass Pike", nearly 70 miles off course. What happened after that was all merely inconvenient mishaps, for the next several days.

Upon backtracking, the exhaust began to get noticiably loud, and the power had dropped quite a bit. I changed my habits, drove under the speed limit (55 > 65), and prayed...

Leaving the toll booth, top of I-88... a mile later...

As if I'm standing still, a Trooper in an SRT-8 comes hauling rump roast from behind...

Right past me.

The stare, in awe, being fully impressed. Kept my fingers crossed, and never saw him again.

Got in around 3am, very tired, running on the fuel light. Went right inside, laid down, fell asleep. Next morning...

IMAG0089-1.jpg

Pop. Removed the rear seats, jammed it in there, tied the trunk down with RJ-11 cable, drove into Oneonta, $103 later...

IMAG0099.jpg

Fixed.

I'm also missing my shielding now. It's saved, but, I won't put it back on just yet.

This is just Thursday at this rate... Filled up the tank Saturday afternoon, and during that, checking the tires... I found my pass. rear tire was low. Inflated to normal.

Next morning... Again, low. Get the pressure gauge out; 14psi. *Censored*! Get out a bottle, dump some soap/warm water in...

IMAG0110.jpg

Double *censored*!

Grab the spare...

IMAG0111.jpg

Should'a seen this coming. :banghead:

IMAG0112.jpg

Cool.

On a 1992 Spare, 3 hours off schedule, I made my way home, taking a longer route to Liberty... No phone service... GPS' get very confused in the mountains... On some very tempting roads. Despite that, I took my time and avoided abusing the car, being laden with a full tank and several hundred pounds extra of luggage in the car.

IMAG0113.jpg

Well, this has been fun.

Gave me a lot of time to think, read, and research, particularly about the car's future.

Hours, into a day, into several days.

My mind is made up.

It's time.

#31 l75eya

l75eya

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,460 posts
  • Hoboken, NJ

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

Lol! That sucks about the tire mishap. Exhaust too. I see you're up to 78k. I'm catching up to you though, just pulled a500 mile trip in mine, I'm half way to 76k now.

I like your run down with the pictures and all. What's it time for I wonder?

#32 tincan

tincan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Carmel, NY

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:35 AM

What's it time for I wonder?

It's a veil of secrecy for a reason.

I can tell you certain it's not an engine swap. Past that, time will tell.

#33 tincan

tincan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Carmel, NY

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:00 AM

Here's some rather rough mock-up sheet metal work I pulled off, in an effort to do some drag reduction along the undercarriage. It needs further testing here and there, as well as overall improvements to appearance, but function > form for the time being.

IMAG0142.jpg

Having folded out the center piece, I test fitted it with some clamps. Looks promising.

As well as the side areas, same deal, lining it up and clamping into a suitable position. There was a lot of bending/rebending to get these parts right so they wouldn't catch the tires, but they fit well.

IMAG0146.jpg

Hadn't enough progress shots for this, but after an hour or so of adjusting, they were bolted on.

IMAG0147.jpg

And yesterday, bending out the last two pieces.

IMAG0150.jpg

Considering this is all hand bent, snip cut, minimal measurement, I didn't expect it to come out half as well. Or even fit...

Edited by tincan, 25 August 2013 - 09:01 AM.

#34 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,424 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

Awesome. I am a fan of your car. It makes me jealous:)

#35 tincan

tincan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Carmel, NY

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:12 AM

Awesome. I am a fan of your car. It makes me jealous:)

Naaaaaaah.

It's a greasebox! :D

#36 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,424 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

It reminds me of the days when i had my 88 sedan. Quite possibly my most favorite subaru, and the one i got the most use/mileage from

silverfoxfront.jpg

silverfox.jpg

wreck%20006.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users