Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's really hard to read the ATF level indicator and I think that a mechanic may have overfilled it. It sure looks high. When the 2.5 l. engine transmission is drained, how much fluid is normally recovered?

I know on the 2.2 l engine, you can normally drain 4.5 qt. But the 2.2 l has a capacity of 8.3 qt and the 2.5 l has a capacity of 9.8 qt.

I use the amount drained as an indication of how much to add back. In this case I want to use the amount drained as an indication that it was overfilled. If the proportion is the same, I should drain 5.5 qt.

there are 2 sections on my at stick. one for cold and one for hot.

take out the stick and lay it safely aside, idle the car, (with foot on the brake) and move the selector through each gear a coupla times. Put it in park.

Take a reading. Also, the distance between low and full is a lot less than a quart - more like a pint or something so, if it's a little low , you def wanna sneak up on the full level.

I use a funnel with a hose on it that I bought from Amazon. after making any change, it's best to lay the stick aside for a coupla minutes or it will read funky.

You're right that you can only drain about half or less from the drain bolt.

It's always a pain to read those. On the soobs I always read them cold. I know the manual says it's better to read it warm but I don't usually do it that way. When its cold it's pretty easy to get the reading after a couple tries.

I'm assuming what you mean by the different quantities of fluid you listed is between the 4EAT phase I and the 4EAT phase II. I think it will be tough to use the amount of fluid drained from the pan to prove it was overfull. Especially because as mentioned the difference between the low and full marks is not a whole lot. If you get it overfull enough, it will let the fluid out a breather hose.

Update:

I could only drain out 4.2 qt. So the transmission was not overfilled. I failed to mention that I could see bubbles on the dip stick! So does this mean that it was underfilled?

Good suggestion to check the level cold [ or ambient]. On my other subaru [2.2 l], I can see the level when cold better then when hot. But on the 2.5 l., before I drained it I could not see a level even cold.

Can anyone answer the original question. How much is normally drained from a 2.5 l transmission?

There will sometimes be slight bubbling on the stick due to aeration of the fluid. ATF has additives (usually silicone based) to help keep aeration to a minimum. That's one of the main downsides though if it were overfilled, that the fluid may churn more than normal and entrain air, and air bubbles trapped in the fluid obviously do not lubricate as well as without.

Update:

I put 4.5 qt back in. The dipstick shows overfilled with some air bubbles even when cold.

It seems unlikely that the 2.5 l transmissions [2002 auto] would only drain out 3 qts or so. But if I can believe the dip stick, that would have to be the situation. That would also mean that one would have to drain and refill 5x times to get a good replacement of the ATF!

Usually about 3.5 - 4 quarts will come out of the transmission during the drain and fill procedure. I always start with 3.5 quarts on ALL Subaru automatics, let it run at idle in neutral until the cooling fans have cycled a couple times. You can also drive the car to get the transmission fluid up to temp as well.

Once the fluid is warm, then add until its at the full HOT dot.

A little trick that I do when I have been changing the transmission fluid is to check the level before I drain it. I found that you can see dirty or old fluid easier than clean fluid. Then I drain it into a large plastic container that you can see the level on and mark the level with a felt tip pen. I then put the same amount back into the transmission. This way has never failed me in a lot of fluid changes, but doesn't help much when a shop does it.

Update:

Thanks for all the help. I believe my main problem was that the ATF was very old and foaming. Consequently, it covered the dip stick no matter how much fluid was in the transmission. So I drained the again and added new ATF. Finally it stopped foaming.

Also once I realized the transmission was a 4eat, I just added 4qt of new ATF. I can see the level now although it's difficult. I concur that the proper amount to add for the 4eat is likely 4.25 qt but I wanted to be sure I was less then overfill.