Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sloppy shifter fix?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 BlindSight

BlindSight

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 653 posts
  • Denton

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

This is for a Gen 1 Brat, looked and found some advice for the 80's and up but nothing for these old beasts. Not sure exactly how much play there should be on these things but I feel like im driving a big rig sometimes with how sloppy my shifter is and don't think its completely normal. The shifting on my XB is really short and crisp but the brat just kind of wiggles around. Think it could eb tightened up a bit with new shift bushings or something? Where could I get some new ones?

Edited by BlindSight, 24 July 2012 - 05:49 PM.

#2 biffanyus

biffanyus

79 Brat

• Members
  • 990 posts
  • West Palm Beach, FL

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

Im no expert but I think the gen 1s have a lot of play in the shifter. They wiggle around and bit for sure.

#3 Leeroy

Leeroy

Old boxer tricks!

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • Albury, NSW, Australia

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:39 AM

+ 1

#4 talldude

talldude

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • Placerville

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

New bushings from local dealer- should be available. They will feel better, but still feel sloppy relative to a new car.

#5 BlindSight

BlindSight

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 653 posts
  • Denton

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

Haha my local subaru dealer didn't even know what a Brat was :/.

#6 O.C.D.

O.C.D.

Subaru Fanatic!

• Validating
  • 690 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:01 PM

Pull the shifter boot and you will see that the issue is not the bushing but the shifter itself. I tried to tighten the bushing but learned it is the shifter rod moving back and forth left to right.

#7 ITBandit

ITBandit

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Hollister

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

a while back i went and bought some really thing rubber washers to fit in between the shaft and the surrounding metal... couldn't get them to fit :( So my next idea is to find some spare gasket material and slide it in there... What i really want is for my shifter to stop sounding like a rattle snake, hopfully that would help :P

#8 BlindSight

BlindSight

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 653 posts
  • Denton

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

Like how thin? What about taking a razor and cutting them in half or something like that? I know they make really thin neoprene washers also, might have to order them but should only be a few cents each.

#9 danrenfroe2016

danrenfroe2016

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • Dallas, Texas

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:31 AM

The problem is that the metal for the shifter shaft (the one that goes into the transmission) is made of a too soft metal. I drilled and tapped a small hole to "lock" the sleeve thing on the shaft with a small bolt. Some on the board have welded it.

Note that it needs to be fixed, my shifter would hit the side of the trans housing before I could get into reverse. I put 30k miles on my brat a year. Fix has worked done for over a year.

-daniel

#10 Carmen

Carmen

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • san pedro sula, Honduras

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

my dad does metallic bushings from thin pipes insted the old plastic ones to fix sloppy shifter in datsuns , the idea could used in subarus

#11 Silvergrey05

Silvergrey05

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • SoCal

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:00 PM

On a '78 Brat, I managed to improve a little by replacing the bolts in the shifter linkage. There were grooves worn in the shaft of the bolt.

#12 O.C.D.

O.C.D.

Subaru Fanatic!

• Validating
  • 690 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

On a '78 Brat, I managed to improve a little by replacing the bolts in the shifter linkage. There were grooves worn in the shaft of the bolt.

I did this as well with a 4mm (I believe) 2" (I believe) bolt. I got it at Home Depot. The length matters cause half of it is not threaded. Then you simply cut of the un-needed threads.

Mine had grooves worn into it as well.

#13 Giant

Giant

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Pullman

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

I had the same problem with the shifter hitting the tranny while trying to shift into reverse. I wrapped a piece of an aluminum can around the input to the tranny to fill the space of the worn down metal. It's still sloppy, but way tighter than it was.

#14 BlindSight

BlindSight

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 653 posts
  • Denton

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:18 AM

Thanks for all the tips everyone, my schedule has been bonkers lately but will be messing with this soon!

#15 Chaos Fluffy

Chaos Fluffy

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Prattville

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:20 PM

Hey, I've got the same issue with my Brat. It's a '86, though. Plus trying to 3rd and 4th are wide out, so it feel like I'd be going into 5th and 6th.

Will any of this work for me too, or so there something else completely wrong with mine?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users