Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sloppy shifter fix?

This is for a Gen 1 Brat, looked and found some advice for the 80's and up but nothing for these old beasts. Not sure exactly how much play there should be on these things but I feel like im driving a big rig sometimes with how sloppy my shifter is and don't think its completely normal. The shifting on my XB is really short and crisp but the brat just kind of wiggles around. Think it could eb tightened up a bit with new shift bushings or something? Where could I get some new ones?

Edited by BlindSight

a while back i went and bought some really thing rubber washers to fit in between the shaft and the surrounding metal... couldn't get them to fit :( So my next idea is to find some spare gasket material and slide it in there... What i really want is for my shifter to stop sounding like a rattle snake, hopfully that would help :P

The problem is that the metal for the shifter shaft (the one that goes into the transmission) is made of a too soft metal. I drilled and tapped a small hole to "lock" the sleeve thing on the shaft with a small bolt. Some on the board have welded it.

Note that it needs to be fixed, my shifter would hit the side of the trans housing before I could get into reverse. I put 30k miles on my brat a year. Fix has worked done for over a year.

-daniel

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On a '78 Brat, I managed to improve a little by replacing the bolts in the shifter linkage. There were grooves worn in the shaft of the bolt.

I did this as well with a 4mm (I believe) 2" (I believe) bolt. I got it at Home Depot. The length matters cause half of it is not threaded. Then you simply cut of the un-needed threads.

Mine had grooves worn into it as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same problem with the shifter hitting the tranny while trying to shift into reverse. I wrapped a piece of an aluminum can around the input to the tranny to fill the space of the worn down metal. It's still sloppy, but way tighter than it was.

• 5 weeks later...