Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question about a motor swap / intake question

I am swapping out my 2.5 phase 2 from my 02 outback with a 2.2 phase 2 from a 00 impreza.

Question is about the intake. Motor came complete with intake and all plumbing. Only real difference i see is the configuration of the throttle body. the idle air control valve to be exact.

Does anyone know if i leave this intake on and plug it in will it work? or will it not work with my ECU and i have to move my intake over? Will it hurt to try?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

it may work just fine, i don't really know.

BUT if you swap the complete intake manifold, the crank sprocket and the cam sprocket (drivers side ) i KNOW it will work.

to repeat: use the intake , crank sprocket and cam sprocket that came with the car and you will have NO issues.

Edited by johnceggleston

Yep I went to a local u pullit junk yard today and hit pay dirt. first isle second car was a 2.2 not sure of the year but it was a single port exhaust.

They already had the cat cut off so less work for me. $12.50 and 15 minutes later i had my exhaust.

I am taking photos step by step and am going to post them. So far so good.

I was just wondering about the intake, I will try it. If it starts throwing the check engine light with codes I will just put my intake that came with it on.

I wanted to try because it is already attached to the motor, i figured why not.

:brow:

You bring up a good point.

I have searched my 2.5 for an EGR and I searched. I can't find the damn thing...

Anyone have a pic of one in its location???

I don't think this has one. But I could be wrong..

I think by '02 they all had them.... but I could be wrong on that account also. I know for certain that most of the phase-II 2.2's didn't have them and in order to install it into an EGR equipped car you may have to drill and tap the head for the EGR tube.

On the drivers side of the manifold toward the back you should see a large valve - under it there will be a copper pipe running to the back of the cylinder head.

GD

Hi,

My '00 OB had no EGR and neither did the '01 I swapped in (rod knock).

Wikipedia states '00-'04 for the EJ251 - but I guess that doesn't mean it didn't have EGR. The EJ22 had EGR on the '95 Automatics but not on the Manuals...so.....

EDIT: Just checked Opposedforces.com and it shows EGR on the '02+ - HERE.

Pic of '00 w/out EGR:

EJ251-OB%2520%25281%2529%2520%2528Large%2529.jpg

Pic of '02+ EGR:

366495008104.png

I've wondered about this swap - I've read on here the intake manifolds supposedly swap, so you could just use that if needed.

Please let us know how this works out.

GL,

Td

Edited by wtdash

Thanks wtdash, the diagram proves it. Neither of the motors have an EGR.

I appreciate the idea of just moving my intake over but... That motor came from a junk yard tested, complete with intake, and a 6 month warranty on parts (for a few extra bucks they would have did labor to)

So as an experiment I am trying it with the intake that came with the motor.

The only 2 things I see are this one has an Air temp sensor that goes in the air box, no big deal. The air box has a flat circle where the hole is punched for it to fit.

And the plug going to the PS unit (1 wire) is different. easy alterations. and both can be undone just as easy if i go with my intake from the old motor.

Edited by schekan

Motor is in, today I do the exhaust and finish up. I hope it works...lol

I have lots of picks from every stage of this and would like to post them.

What would be the best area in this forum to do that?

I would like to give back some information to this group, this group has saved me many times before with lots of my subaru repairs.

:headbang:

i just looked my 00 outback sedan over, and dont see an egr valve either. im anxious to see if you just plug and play that 2.2l and it runs fine without swapping intakes, etc. if that is the case, i will def go that route instead of gambling on another 2.5l from the junkyard. :clap:

OK, motor with intake from 00 impreza installed I had no spark.

After looking at the brown plug from that intake it has 2 blank spots with no wires. My original intake only has 1 blank spot without a wire.

So the wiring was off. Oh well it was worth a try.

So I installed my intake and tried firing it up and now i have spark but still wont start.

Sounds like my timing is off, i have no exaust hooked up and just wanted to confirm it ran so I cranked it over a few times and heard some small missfires.

Also caught a rag on fire under the car, so i know i have spark. :Flame:

Looks like I will have to move the crank sprocket and drivers side cam sprocket over as was suggested earlier here.

Well no harm no foul it was worth a try..

Edited by schekan

moneypit stay tuned. If i swap these sprockets and it works fine then it really isn't that big a deal swapping out the 2.5 for the 2.2.

In reality you get a 2.2 from the bone yard you should assume that the timing belt is old and also replace the front oil pump seal. and hell the water pump as well.

I will keep you posted.

:popcorn:

cant wait to see how this works out.

not bad if all you have to do is swap intake, and couple sprockets. def worth the better 2.2 in the long run. wonder why you only have to swap the left cam sprocket, and not both?? just wondering.

keep us posted on how this goes. thx

Edited by themoneypit

OK,

2.2L from "00" impreza

Y-pipe from an imprezza of unknown year, but it was a phase 1 2.2L

My original intake from my 02 outback

My crank and drivers side cam sprockets (new timing belt while i am there)

Got it all together today and it purrs like a kitten. I am impressed...

I only took it for a quick test drive but it runs so smooth. Much better engine.

Attached pic is of the exhaust..

post-5713-136027658355_thumb.jpg

Edited by schekan
adding more text

imagine how much less work it would have been if you had swapped in the intake and sprockets while the engine was still out of the car, as suggested.

we are not perfect, but we do get it roght every now and then.

glad you got it running and glad to get conformations on the adjustments needed for the swap.

happy motoring.

:popcorn:

cant wait to see how this works out.

not bad if all you have to do is swap intake, and couple sprockets. def worth the better 2.2 in the long run. wonder why you only have to swap the left cam sprocket, and not both?? just wondering.

keep us posted on how this goes. thx

Left sprocket has teeth for the cam position sensor to read. Right sprocket does not. No point in changing it if it's no different than the one you take off. It is a good idea to remove it and replace the cam seal while you have the timing components out of the way.