Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question about a motor swap / intake question

imagine how much less work it would have been if you had swapped in the intake and sprockets while the engine was still out of the car, as suggested.

we are not perfect, but we do get it roght every now and then.

glad you got it running and glad to get conformations on the adjustments needed for the swap.

happy motoring.

yeah ill do mine while its on the stand now that we confirmed this (though i guess you already knew that LOL). i plan on seals, idlers, belt, w/p and a tune up as well. cant wait to get going on this. hitting the j/y tomorrow! :headbang:

what about the starter? which did you use? from the 2.2, or the original 2.5? is your car stick or automatic?

looking up online, the starter for a manual trans 2.5 is the same as a manual trans 2.2. but the automatics list different part numbers for both engines.

my o/b 2.5 is automatic, im guessing i have to get the starter for the automatic 2.2 as well?

i hit the junkyard today and scored a 115k 2.2 from an 00 impreza. had fresh subaru oil filter on it, and brand new subaru starter, so it looks like it was a dealer maintained car. im pretty syked. cant wait to get it installed and get this car up n running.. i bought it last week with known bad hgs, but its real a real clean outback sedan limited, so it was worth saving it:clap:

with the miles, im hoping when i pull the timing cover it has a new t-belt and waterpump as well. if it was dealer maintained, it shoudlve been done 10k miles ago. if thats the case, ill just swap the two sprockets, and put it back together. if it looks old ill replace everything.

I hope you grabbed that starter! OE Subaru units aren't exactly easy to find. Not in my neck of the woods at least. I usually see the cheapo reman junk starters and alternators from the parts stores in the JY cars. If I find Subaru OE it usually is 15 - 20 years old.

yeah i grabbed it! he charged me 30 bux for it.. i wasnt sure if my starter was going to work with the motor or not, so i was planning on getting one. then when i saw the subaru sticker and part number on it i was syked. its all shiney and theres no dust on the sticker at all, like they just picked it up from the dealer and got rear ended... i also got the y-pipe for it as well. it was def a score.

I used my flywheel clutch, pressure plate and starter from the 2.5 bolts right up.

As for the work with the motor in or out of the car it really didn't matter. Intake is very easy to remove and install.

Also with the motor out i would not have the ability to remove the main bolt on the crank. I do not have a motor stand. So again this is easy with the motor in. No different than changing the timing belt except you are swapping 2 pulleys while you are there.

I had mixed answers about the pulleys in the past so it was worth a try.

And yes it is the DRIVERS side pulley that must be changed. And crank pulley.

As for the timing belt I went with one from a "00" 2.2L. It's funny that there is actually 2 different PN's for this item.

If you go to Autozone and look it up for both years they are identical but yet have 2 different numbers. Not just autozone it's everywhere. Rockauto does have 1 brand that keeps the same PN for both vehicles / motors.

Edited by schekan

As for power difference there is a small change but not worth being worried about. Hardy noticeable.

Today I put 180 miles on it and by Friday I should have around 500 to 600 miles on it.

Runs like a champ. I would recommend doing this swap if you can get a good 2.2L. Time will tell but no check engine light or issues.

I do have an idle issue but that is from the throttle body / TPS / IACV. Still working on that one. That’s why I wanted to try the intake.

And also as johnceggleston suggested if you have the motor on a motor stand or something to hold it steady then just change everthing while it's out.

And don't forget the Y-Pipe...

:headbang:

nice. yeah the manual trans starters are the same, but it listed different part numbers for an automatic (2.5 vs 2.2), so i grabbed the starter for the 2.2 as well. i pulled the timing cover off of the o/b today and have the same pulley on my 00 as your 02 did. im going to swap them over to the 2.2 with the intake and install it. hoping to get it done this weekend if all works out good. ill post back once shes running. i hit the stealership today for intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets, t-stat/seal, antifreeze, and the coolant conditioner. once i pick the motor up from the junkyard, ill assess if it needs t-belt components or not. if so ill grab those as well. seeing it was dealer maintained im hoping everythings new when i pull the covers off... yeah i got the y-pipe with it as well

mines done and runs GREAT! about 8hrs start to finish. wouldve been 7, but after i put the motor in, got a few of the bolts started to pull it together, i realized the flex plate from the 2.2 wasnt going to work with the outback trans. so pulled it out, swapped the drive plates (torque to 53ft lbs), and dropped it back in.

so my input for this swap on an automatic, use the outback starter, flex/drive plate, and your good to go!!

GD, this motor has new headgaskets, so i guess your right theyre prone also... appears to be oem subaru s/s hgs. 115k on the odo, so i wonder if they were done under that 100k warranty?? were the 2.2s involved in that?

anyways, it runs great, noticed a rip in a cv axle, ill do those tomorrow. couldnt be happier. im 2500 flat into this car with buying it plus motor, and its mint. :headbang:

thanks again everyone!!

on a side note thou, i have a new reman OEM subaru impreza 2.2 automatic STARTER for sale. ill post in the for sale section.

Edited by themoneypit

My engine has 107,000 on it but was well kept. I love it. So far i have around 800 miles on it without an issue.

As far as the head gaskets read the article here

http://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-head-gasket-problems-explained/

"

The second group is the 2nd generation Subaru 2.2l and 2.5l engines found in the Forrester from mid year 1998, Impreza from mid year 1998, the Outback and Legacy from 2000.The early symptoms that occur in the 2nd generation engines is usually an external oil leak at both head gaskets and an external coolant leak at the left side head gasket, we have seen coolant leaks at the right side head gasket as well but at a much lower failure rate than the left side. We have seen some of the same intermittent overheating symptoms, but the bulk of the issues seem to be external leaks.

Early detection of failing head gaskets is the key to keeping the repair costs down. Typically speaking when the problem is diagnosed and repaired at the earliest signs of failure the potential for additional damage can be held to a minimum.""

So if you keep an eye on it and catch it early, your repair will be minimal.

FelPro have a modified MLS gasket available, I used it on my 2.5 and it worked great. Also I understand from reading various articles that Subaru also fixed the gasket issue.

So If it is caught early and replaced with a modified gasket you should not have any more issues with it from that point on.