Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help please..brat will not turn off :(

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 waldoz

waldoz

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Battle Ground

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

So its been fine for weeks ever since I got the motor in even before. Started up fine and then, turn the key off and it keeps running. I have to pull the wire to the carb to get it to stop. Funny thing is once I do that.. It does not have power after it dies. Go figure. The only thing I can think of is the voltage regulator or something. Do you guys have any ideas?

#2 BlindSight

BlindSight

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 653 posts
  • Denton

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:21 PM

Sounds like a bad ignition switch or a short somewhere in the ignition system to me.

#3 waldoz

waldoz

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Battle Ground

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:35 PM

I hope those are not hard to take out. I will pull the connector and jump the wires manually and see what happens.

#4 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,541 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:28 PM

Odd this is the second "my car wont shut off" post.

The other was a starter that wouldnt shut off. This I would start at the iggy switch, as the actual electrical circuit is not that complicated.

#5 waldoz

waldoz

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Battle Ground

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:38 AM

Thanks guys problem solved. Sold the brat. :brow:

#6 BlindSight

BlindSight

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 653 posts
  • Denton

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

LOL, womp womp.

#7 Kevint143

Kevint143

USMB Regular

• Silver Subscribers
  • 345 posts
  • Bakersfield, CA

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:34 AM

Still won't turn off...

#8 bertmann73

bertmann73

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • las vegas

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:25 PM

my first guess is also the ignition switch.

there are also wires that are switched to stay on as long as the alternator is turning such as fuel pump, choke and anti deisel valve. if there is a short from these to the ignition it can cause it to run after shut off.

also check if coil and resitstor are wired correctly.

#9 Kevint143

Kevint143

USMB Regular

• Silver Subscribers
  • 345 posts
  • Bakersfield, CA

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

The gentleman that I bought it from hooked up a kill switch to the anti dieseling switch which works but isn't ideal when I put the weber on I bought the anti dieseling switch for it as well. When its running a buddy of mine unplugged everything under the hood and the only thing that would turn it off was when he unplugged the wire set that goes into the backside of the alternator. I have also swapped the ignition completely and with the new ignition it wouldn't kill it as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users