Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Diff - LSD or not?

Well... it's time to change the rear diff fluid. '85 EA82 4WD 5mt Wagon. I searched the archives... but exactly how and where will the rear diff be marked if it is an LSD?

I just bought 80w90 but got to thinking "what if I have the limited slip?"

Does anyone know the location of the marks and what they look like?

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. Ron W.

Most probably not, but if it is it has a big silver sticker on the rear cover that will have LSD in big letters as well as the 3.9 ratio.
Turbo LSD rear diffs for the EA82 were 3.700 ratio, not 3.900. Best test is as Bratman18 mentioned; jack up the rear end to get both wheels off the ground. Spin one wheel and watch the other; if the spins in the same direction is could be an LSD rear; if the other wheel spins opposite, it's an open diff.

Only 3.900 rear LSD diffs were converted from an open diff and the clutch pack was installed from a turbo wagon. As far as I know SOA never made a 3.900 rear LSD for the EA82 models.

Yeah, I said 3.9 because it's an 85 5spd wagon. I'm assuming it's not LSD, so when he looks at the diff it will have a big silver sticker that says 3.9, and no LSD writing on it.

So my mistake, I wasn't trying to imply it would have a 3.9 LSD in it.

I have a 3.9 LSD, but that's because I swapped carriers. It could just as easily be a 4.11 or 4.44 if I used one of the other diffs out of my shed.

• 3 years later...