Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lucy the 91 Legacy

Markus56

Well i figured i had better do one of these threads for my 4th subaru, Lucy

I bought her in 2010 for 275 bucks off craigslist.

3k53mb3l45Y25Q45R5a5afd4530066dbe1206.jpg?gl=US

She had a blown headgasket and had sat in a puddle for the last year or so.

The very first thing i did was add off road lights. :rolleyes:

PICT0035.JPG?gl=US

So i eventually replaced the headgaskets on her because the XT i was driving at the time was falling apart faster than i could fix it.

Of course i wasn't satisfied with low Lucy looked so i added more headlights and an LSI grill. :brow:

0827001745.jpg?gl=US

As time wore on, more fun things happened like bigger tires and outback struts, and a 4WD switch for the automatic

DSCN0691.JPG?gl=US

0223111952.jpg?gl=US

0223110817.jpg?gl=US

Then i decided to advertise our cause and put stickers everywhere :cool:

Picture%2520027.jpg?gl=US

So now we jump ahead a year, i and had moved from Washington to Montana. Before i left, i had gotten even bigger tires, broken out the low hanging lights, 15" rims, build a roof rack, put roof lights on it, inherited a trunk rack, added HID headlights, and installed CB equipment.

PICT0026.JPG?gl=US

PICT0001.JPG?gl=US

Roll around another six months, and my transmission blew up while i was ramming my car through a snow drift on my way home from work. so that had to get replaced. thankfully, my boss let me use the shop where i work.

PICT0010.JPG?gl=US

PICT0005.JPG?gl=US

PICT0004.JPG?gl=US

While i was at it, i decided to put a 4" lift kit on it, because why not :headbang:

we've got a plasma cam and machine shop as well so it was very easy to make my own kit.

PICT0016.JPG?gl=US

PICT0017.JPG?gl=US

PICT0019.JPG?gl=US

Things were going great until i got two flat tires in one day, and said to hell with it! i'm buying new tires! :burnout:

That brings us to how Lucy currently sits!

PICT0045.JPG?gl=US

PICT0046.JPG?gl=US

For the future, i have a 5 speed D/R transmission that i am going to transplant. :brow: more to come when that happens!

Edited by Markus56

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You will be very happy with the BFGoodrich KM2. They are a heavy tire, but are the best I've had so far. They also wear really good for a Mud-Terrain, they last.

Yup, KM2's for the win! Great tire all around.

Good build story as well. Looks like a fun build.

• 2 months later...

That is one killer Legacy! I'm looking to do this with my 89 Legacy sedan, what problems did you run into with the Outback struts if any? I know the wagon rear springs are different from the sedan ones, did you have any difficulty getting them to fit?

Did you need to use anything else from the outback to get the wheels centered in the wheel wells, etc?

With that lift you did, did you drop everything 4"? Like the engine crossmembers, trans crossmembers, diff, etc? What angle are those front strut spacers cut at? Any alignment issues? Have to do any fender bashing?

What does it ride like?

Loving the safari look, one tough Lego!