Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81T upgrades and mods question, attn. Skip

Well I was searching for mods I can do to an EA81T and I came up with a list of mods I can do but I also have some questions about some stuff. I came across an old thread that Skip had started about more mods he could do to his EA82T in his wagon. He gave a picture of his motor and labeled everything he had done and well here's the link..... http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4368&highlight=turbo+mods

Now to the questions and yes there is a list so bear with me please:D

1. What are the: "High Boost Controlled Enrichening Valve", "Boost Bypass Valve", "Boost Pressure Control Valve", and the "Dash Controlled Distributor Timing" do? What is their function and what is the purpose for having them?

2. In regards to a lightened flywheel, out of all the EA81 flywheels (2wd, 4wd), which is the lightest to start with? How would I lighten it?

3. LSDs..... could I put one in my wagon with a EA81 manual tranny? I don't think I can because the LSD is a 3.70 and the tranny is a 3.90 but is there any year of soob that had a 3.90 LSD?

4. How much boost should I run? I kinda want to run about 12 or so but I've heard about fuel cut-out. How do I go around this on an EA81T?

5. Radiators... I need to run a bigger rad. in my car but what will fit with minor modification to the core support? I plan on running dual electric fans to help the cooling.

6. Oil coolers. Are they a good idea? If so, I will put one in also.

7. Intercoolers, front mount vs. top mount. Pros and cons of both please! I am thinking of a front mount out of a Volvo. I don't have a bumper and I have also looked at modifying the valence in the front to get more air to it.

8. Igntion, what should I use? Just a regular Accel Super Stock coil? Any suggestions?

Now that you've all read my long and exciting thread, I have a few things for y'all to keep in mind when you get a picture in your head about this. I plan on running *2* Chevy Sprint 3-cylinder turbos on it. The reason for two turbos is because I want to do something different but I also want some low end power. I want it to be an off the line car, not really looking for top end speed (helps keep me out of trouble that way:D). Exhaust will all be custom made by yours truely. Any other suggestions woud be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Russ

*edit* - I plan on porting and polishing my heads and intake. Also addding a boost gauge and a boost controlled fan and water cooler on the intercooler if its a top mounted IC.

well, although you could ORDER a soob with LSD (There is a white 88 or 89 wagon rolling around Albany wiht LSD, and it is non-turbo, manual tranny) the only ones that came stock with the LSD were the RX and some of the turbowaogns, 89 I if my memory serves me correctly. Best bet is to get an LSD rear end and have a shop swap the ring and pinion over to 3.90.

Unless you feel like trying to find a 91 legacy turbo, those I believe were a viscous 3.90 LSD...

The EA81T and the EA82T are alot different and simaliar in some ways. You can do more mods to the EA82T. But to answer some of you questions along with Skip,

1. Some of the goodies that Skip uses are EA82T exclusive, but some may work for the EA81T. Like the boost pressure valve (which I think is adjustable boost control), dash controlled disty timing is for advancing the timing to help avoid detonation.

2. I think right now, the XT6 flywheel is the lightest "stock" one around, altho I'm not sure if anyone has put one on a EA81T yet. I'm not sure if theres a diff between the 2wd or 4wd EA81's. You can use the EA82 and lighten it some like Skip did. Then again, it was for a EA82T.

3. To make a LSD a 3.90 ratio, you need to remove the guts and install it into a 3.90 diff with the ring and pinion. I believe the procedure is in the USRM.

4. Max boost for a EA81T? Who knows? Stock is 7psi. I would think the safe limit would be around 12psi, but I could be wrong. There is no fuel cutout on the EA81T that I'm aware of. There is an Air Relief Valve on the EA81T manifold, that releases air if the wastegate fails to release enough boost. This needs to be eliminated, but a well built boost controller needs to be installed.

5. I think a 2 row rad will work fine, and dual fans will fit.

6. There is a stock oil cooler on the EA81T already.

7. I'm not sure how you would run the plumbing for a front mount IC. Its pretty straight forward no the top mount.

8. Use the biggest Accel coil there is, not the one everybody has been using lately (POS IMO).

I'm not at all sure how this will all mate up and run with the setup you are thinking of, but if you are determined I say "Damn the Torpedoes, Full Steam Ahead!"

Thanks for all the excitment guys! This will be a pimpin ride when I'm done:D

Anyways I have a few more questions....

1. What year of soob should I get a 2 row radiator out of?

2. Will an EA82 or XT6 flywheel fit with an EA81 d/r 4-speed tranny?

I3. gnition, What is the biggest Accel coil that is made and approximetly how much voltage does it create?

4. 2WD and 4WD flywheels. From what I've heard, there is a difference in size of the clutch disk but is there any diffences of the flywheel itself? Anyone have pics of both of them like side by side maybe?

Thanks again guys, I appreciate it a lot!! I want to have a very quick EA81T in my wagon.....I can't WAIT till WCSS6 when I unveil my "lil beast"!!

1. I have no idea. Try using redline water wetter.

2. Yes. If your car WASN'T an EA81T then you'd have to do some grinding.

3. Again, no idea. Might try emailing Accel.

4. Don't know about 2wd to 4wd, but the EA82 cars (Not just turbo) had 8 7/8 inch clutches while the EA81s had 7 7/8 inch. Best to use the whole EA82 assymbly (like I did) and have it lightened.

Well we also have to keep in mind what car this motor/tranny is going into. Its a 79 wagon so it'll make it slightly lighter also. If I go with the XT6 clutch and flywheel, it should hold up to the power I'll be producing. I don't really want to make ungodly amounts of power (thats what my IROC-Z is for;)) but I just want to make it a nice little cruiser:D

Well something came across my mind. Does anyone know if the:

Spline count and size of the input shaft on the EA81 tranny are the same as the EA81/XT6 clutch spline count and input shaft area? If not, then I guess I'll be going with the EA81 4WD clutch and flywheel because I was told that they are bigger in size which would also make them more heavy duty.

The reason behind keeping the EA81 tranny is because I can make it work with my stock 4WD lever. I want to keep the lever stock and because I like the look of the stock lever...I dunno why, I just like it and it completes my wagon the way it is.

So I think I'm gonna go with a front mount intercooler out of a Volvo. Does anyone know the dimensions of one? Anyone have pics of one I could use as a model until I can get one? Thanks again guys for all of your help and advice for the "project":D

Russ

I burned up 2 clutches because it was a EA81 (not T), not meant for Turbos. And I was using a 4spd tranny.

2 row rads were never stock for Subaru, it will be hard to find in the JY.

I'm not sure about the diff between the flywheels, but I'm positive there will be.

If you are going to have 2 turbos on this car,

do not use a EA81 4spd. It just isnt going to work. Put in a 5spd D/R, and have Jerry make you the shifter kit. It looks completly stock (EA81).

Why are you going to put a Volvo IC in if you dont even know what it looks like? :confused:

well I found some pics of a volvo intercooler on the internet. So why will the 4-speed burn up clutches? Is it because of the gearing of the tranny? I already have a couple of them..... so why not use them? I could probably get a Centerforce clutch for it if I want to spend the money on it which is what I'll probably end up doing:D

I've got the big Accel SuperCoil on my turbo Brat. works well.

my previous turbo brat had a 1984 ea81 4 speed 4wd tranny installed with a ea81 LUK 225mm (8 7/8") clutch kit. never had any slippage issues, but did bust an axle cup once :) but it had 30" tires on it..... the motor had the heads shaved just a bit too.

well I want to keep the interior looking kinda stock. I just like the 4wd lever for some reason, its hella COOL!!

So an Accel SuperCoil works great I'm guessing then. I think a buddy of mine has one that he'd give me with the panel truck I bought from him.

Radiator... would a EA82T radiator fit? If not what about an EA81T? Size differences between the two? Anyone know?

but what sort of modifications would I have to make to drop an EA82 d/r 5-speed in my wagon? Would I have to beat the trans tunnel out? What about cuttin the shifter hole to make it fit? I'm not big into the whole "Lets beat on it until it fits" method....but thats just me I guess:-\

yeah the EA82 d/r would be cool but I already have an EA81 d/r tranny, well actually two because reverse is blown out of one and first is blown out of the other I think. But yeah since I already have that tranny, I'll probably just put that one into my wagon behind the EA81T I'm getting. It makes it that much easier for me since my wagon is gonna have a lot of modifications done to it.....but y'all will have to see when WCSS6 comes around cause thats when the holy Beer Wagon will get unveiled;)