Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

92 Legacy lifted, now clunking noise

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SubieTrav

SubieTrav

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Denver

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:23 PM

I just finished installing 96 outback struts, springs and sway bar on my 92 legacy wagon. Now I have a clunking noise coming from the rear of the car, most of the noise is on the right side and a small amount of noise is on the left. I had to change the top hats since the bolt holes on top didn't line up. When I reach my hand up inside the tire will to the top of the strut, it feels like the strut is touching the side of the strut well. Do I have the top hat on wrong. Any suggestions on what I should be checking for to make the noise go away. The struts are used form the junk yard, could they be worn out.

#2 Markus56

Markus56

Whup tee do

• Members
  • 794 posts
  • Wolf Point, Montana

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:50 PM

Some of the bolts probably backed out on your lift. Get under there and make sure everything is tight

#3 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,444 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:37 AM

They could be worn out, but more than likely you need some BFH love.Pound the inner well to clearance the spring.
cheers

#4 SubieTrav

SubieTrav

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Denver

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

I took the rr tire off and the spring is up against the inner well. Early next week I'll be doing a brake job so I'll get at it with a BFH.

#5 tron

tron

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Northern California

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:30 PM

you'll be impressed with how quiet your rig gets after this mod. :-p

#6 SubieTrav

SubieTrav

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Denver

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

It does ride much nicer than before. I actually prefer driving this car versus my 96 Outback. Now I have a bad bearing noise coming from the back. Rock Auto has hubs for $43 each but I'm debating about getting the ones at the junk yard on a 92 with 105K miles. Would save some money and I'd have them now to change out, but don't know the condition of them.

#7 Ioku

Ioku

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Bend

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:04 AM

Before you start hit'in thing stuff with a hammer make sure you you don't have your struts mixed up and have the right strut on the left side and the left on the right, a friend of mine did this once and had the same problem. and btw the struts are labeled with an R or L.

#8 SubieTrav

SubieTrav

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Denver

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

The rr strut was off the rr of the outback. I messed up the first one and had to go to the junk yard to get another one. I wonder if I got the top hats switched. Would that make a difference? Do I need the body lift parts from the outback. I didn't put those in, does that matter, would it lift the car anymore. I would like to get at least another inch lift. I went with 195/65/15 tires hoping it wouldn't bring down the gas mileage too much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users