Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Legacy lifted, now clunking noise

SubieTrav

I just finished installing 96 outback struts, springs and sway bar on my 92 legacy wagon. Now I have a clunking noise coming from the rear of the car, most of the noise is on the right side and a small amount of noise is on the left. I had to change the top hats since the bolt holes on top didn't line up. When I reach my hand up inside the tire will to the top of the strut, it feels like the strut is touching the side of the strut well. Do I have the top hat on wrong. Any suggestions on what I should be checking for to make the noise go away. The struts are used form the junk yard, could they be worn out.

It does ride much nicer than before. I actually prefer driving this car versus my 96 Outback. Now I have a bad bearing noise coming from the back. Rock Auto has hubs for $43 each but I'm debating about getting the ones at the junk yard on a 92 with 105K miles. Would save some money and I'd have them now to change out, but don't know the condition of them.

Before you start hit'in thing stuff with a hammer make sure you you don't have your struts mixed up and have the right strut on the left side and the left on the right, a friend of mine did this once and had the same problem. and btw the struts are labeled with an R or L.

The rr strut was off the rr of the outback. I messed up the first one and had to go to the junk yard to get another one. I wonder if I got the top hats switched. Would that make a difference? Do I need the body lift parts from the outback. I didn't put those in, does that matter, would it lift the car anymore. I would like to get at least another inch lift. I went with 195/65/15 tires hoping it wouldn't bring down the gas mileage too much.