Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2003 H6 wagon - Steps for getting A/C working again

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 teppichkopf

teppichkopf

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

Last summer A/C worked fine. This summer not blowing cold air and I can see that the compressor is not turning on. I swapped the relay with some of the other fan relays and no change so I think the relay is fine.

I also ran the self-diagnostics and it showed everything fine.

What is the next step up the ladder? Recharge? If there is a leak will this disable the compressor from turning on?

Thanks in advance.

#2 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:36 PM

There is a known issue with the compressor rotation sensor on those.

#3 teppichkopf

teppichkopf

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:43 PM

From what i read if that rev sensor is bad than the compressor will run for 30 secs or so before turning off the compressor. Since mine isn't turning on at all could the problem be elsewhere in the system? Anyone have any insight on the rev sensor on these?

#4 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,662 posts
  • Texas

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

low refrigerant pressure will shut it off.

gaugeswould confirm that - dunno if the self diagnostic would. maybe the low pressure sensor is bad?

#5 CNY_Dave

CNY_Dave

03 LL Bean H6

• Members
  • 1,422 posts
  • Near Cortland NY

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:42 PM

It is most likely simply low on refrigerant, my 03 H6 needed a can at 160,000 or so. If it doesn't last a season or two I'll chase down where the leak is.

It could be other problems, such as the rev sensor or even the clutch itself.

First step is to get a gauge on the low-pressure side, I have to imagine you could get a garage to just check that and then do nothing more for not much money.

If it has enough pressure that it should be running, try pressing on the A/C clutch/pulley with a stick of wood, try to force the plates together. If it runs when you apply pressure the clutch needs to be maybe cleaned, maybe needs to have a shim removed.

#6 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,880 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

They are also known to leak around the pressure fittings on the hoses. Very common issue that I've seen numerous times. Check the hoses for any oily spots around the fittings and if there is, replace and recharge.

#7 3Pin

3Pin

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • Milwaukee

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

My 02 H6 had a similar issue. Turned out the o ring was bad. Replaced that, recharged and cool air once again.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh..........................!

#8 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,750 posts
  • WV

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:38 PM

FIRST step is to verify how much, if any, refrigerant is in the system. have you checked it?
the compressor won't come on if there's low pressure. very common.

so far i've fixed a number of that era H6 air conditioning systems inexpensively with ease.

You may want to read my write up - takes 15 minutes and less than a dollar (not counting the refrigerant):

http://www.ultimates...ad.php?t=132408

#9 teppichkopf

teppichkopf

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:52 PM

You may want to read my write up - takes 15 minutes and less than a dollar (not counting the refrigerant):

Great write up. I'll replace the o-rings this weekend. Thanks!

#10 Durania

Durania

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,113 posts
  • Crossville, TN

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

FIRST step is to verify how much, if any, refrigerant is in the system. have you checked it?
the compressor won't come on if there's low pressure. very common.

so far i've fixed a number of that era H6 air conditioning systems inexpensively with ease.

Gosh, wished this existed last year when my A/C took a dump on my STi.

#11 CNY_Dave

CNY_Dave

03 LL Bean H6

• Members
  • 1,422 posts
  • Near Cortland NY

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:05 PM

Come to think of it, when I bought my '03 H6 used from the dealer they replaced an AC part free because there was a recall. Not sure what part it was.

#12 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,284 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

Great write up. I'll replace the o-rings this weekend. Thanks!

if you do this you may release any refrigerant that is in the system. anf if the system is holding pressure then the o-rings are not leaking. so checking the pressure in the system first is not a bad idea. even if you use one of those refill cans that comes with a cheesy gauge.

AC folks will fuss if you release that stuff into the atmosphere and also if you refill with out pulling a vacume but such is life.

my 01 H6 came with a non-working AC last year (159k miles). i recharged it and got nothing. it turned out my compressor was bad. so i replaced that and recharged it again replacing 0-rings as i went.

works great now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users