Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The many adventures of Fern the impreza.

tron

• 2 weeks later...

235/75/15 28.8in slight rub at full lock when in a u turn.

sizing down to 215/75/15 27.7in next summer for more power.

have 205/75/15 27.1in studded tires for this winter.:brow:

fern2.jpg

fern1.jpg

2cce58e4ef6f313b78089cd81fca4478.gif

Edited by tron

Since purchase i have:

-cleaned, cleaned, cleaned in and out (so dusty dirty now from off roading with the windows down. we have tons of manzanita that likes to find itself in my car everywhere. Trails are sometimes tight she squeeeeks through the brush.)

out here its brush/tree branch pinstripes instead of cascade pinstripes and i have alot of them already:-p

-cut off the bottom lip of front bumper. shaved sides of front bumper and sucked them in using zipties from the inside. (looks nice n hourglassy from the front)

-removed front sway bar, car has no rear bar (nice n slinky on the trails not bad on the road)

-neatly cut the plastic on the shift surround to accomidate the 4wd stick and installed a boot.

-reinforced the rear where the kit attaches to the body. zzz(drilling through whole body into car, running hardened bolts with big strong house framing washers on top, one big rectangle steel plate (old leaf spring steel) washer with 2 holes on bottom as a nice fat perch for her to sit on. shes now a happy bird. lol

-$5 yakama rack from the thrift store.

made a fairing from libtech snowboard bottom sheet martial...(I worked for lib when living in seattle years ago and had been saving this for just the occasion!)

tied my tire on rack, made space in tire carrier for emergency air compressor and recovery gear.

-changed both front axles and one front spindle (passenger spindle was cracked at the ball joint mount)

-hung the exhaust nice and tight without rattles

-removed snorkus, cut tube to go in firewall and angle as far up as i could and drilled holes in the sides about 1.5 in down of for some side intake.

Then zip tied an outerwear prefilter (keeps water/dust out) on the end of the tube aswell. (water safety line is just below midbody trim):clap:

added k&n air filter to stock airbox.

-Threw on some :cool: "bling" gorilla blue chrome locking lugnuts. (i love how tight the key is for these lugnuts!):headbang:

-replaced all out lights (blinker, interrior dome/insterment pannel)

On the do do list is:

- fix rear washer (pumps fine yet no fluid out the nozzle and dripps in car) lol

- Find out how im gonna get the ebrake cable to work (its too lose all tight at handle. need to see if there is a way to adjust at the rear brakes or if i need a different shorter cable)

- Fix reverse lights, No reverse lights since i got her.

Shes almost past emissions....

Had to get a new rear cat (small front cat has been removed.)

I believe i can pass with just the new rear cat because i was 5 increments off on the test. (what ever increments they use)

Luckily the tester is a good guy and working with me to get my car to pass.

I have the cat on order and will have it installed next week. (just in time for my extension to end)

:cool:My california plates/tabs are paid for and waiting for me once i go to DMV with a pass cert. been workin off n on to get her to pass since end of june. Cali plates will take some gettin use to!

Also replacing the starter on the dualrange with a rebult bosch. My starter had been making odd noises for a few weeks. Yesterday to get to work, she made me get out and rock her in gear to finally turn over.... she likes to make me work for my drives sometimes.:-p

Had other things in mind for this money..... yet i gotta keep her legal and starting now... priorities :rolleyes: sheesh.

:cool:Scott:cool:, I know i have the 2wd rear struts and springs in. Are the front struts and springs outback or 2wd impreza as well?

also what ebrake cable is in there? thanks man.:-p

Edited by tron

bosch reman starter is in! I put it in on my lunch break, just in time too.

The original was sounding like gravel was inside and i would sometimes have to put it in gear and rock it to start.

She starts like a new honda now.... I was suprised at how quiet and clean this starter sounds.

Appointment on tuesday for a new flowmaster cat and wed for a 3rd smog attempt.

The dmv here in town extended my permit to haloween so i think i can get it to pass by then if i have to install 2 cats to pass.

well see.

Scott front struts are??? EBRAKE FROM ORIGINAL CAR OR LEGACY REAR?? THANKS.:-p

drive line is 91 leggacy awd wagon i believe.

Im positive its subaru.

I know what a driveline looks like and what a subaru logo looks like. ha ha!:-p

scott may chime in for you if you ask in big red letters,spin in 2 circles, and say "SJR SJR SJR!" should work..:brow:

im sorry i cant help you more.:(

no number on the subaru sticker that is on my driveline.

SJR SJR SJR!

:headbang:

enjoying it even more now that shes past smog!!

1 magnaflow cat is all it took.

idle----HCs(ppm) 100ppm max 17ppm average ##7ppm measured##

2500rpm---HCs(ppm) 130ppm max 12ppm average ##5ppm measured##

idle----CO(%) 1.0% max .00% average ##.00% measured##

2500rpm---CO(%) 1.0% max .10% average ##.01% measured##

:burnout:

Edited by tron

I emailed him this week asking about the same thing. He said he built a 93 (is that your year?) And he said he used an old datsun truck driveshaft that happened to be the right length. I wish there was a oem part we could use. That complicates things. I like your car. Pretty beast with the d/r yeah?!

I've asked him before and that's why I thought it was a Nissan drive shaft. I'm getting ready to do a DR swap on my 91 Legacy. Glad you are enjoying yours.

OK I could be wrong, I have a stack of drivelines from many different cars, the one on trons car could be a subaru, the Impreza is shorter wheelbase then a legacy and the DR is shorter then a ej 5speed so maybe a legacy driveline would work on a Impreza as its longer

New transmission mounts and piece of rubber tire for bottom pad between trans and

X-member.

No more "rubberband drive"!:headbang:

Scott nice job on the X-member fabrication..:Flame:.. the mounts went in like stock!

Edited by tron

• 2 weeks later...

skid plate on hold for an aluminum welder source...

SJR rear lift is now built tron-o-tough..:brow:

Had a buddy weld all the lift blocks and my perches as one.

Then welded a square tube in to make the lift one piece.

no more wag sir.:-p

before...

5763850194_086d040b81_z.jpg

after

image_1348527052699835.jpg

image_13485269319357931.jpg

image_1348527080569490.jpg:headbang::headbang:

:headbang:thanks scott,

shes amazingly different!

SO much quieter in the rear (no more rubbing springs) and handles better.

With the front subframe and lift you made this thing is solid all around now!:clap:

Edited by tron

I parked my car at the gas station on a incline.
My ebrake is not adjusted yet..
so i park in first.
Well she started creeping forward slowly.
Clunk,Clunk,Clunk. :(
A good low mileage 2.2 is now on the list.
This is one thing i really wanted. More power then my current 1.8 with 230,000 on it. (still sounds and drives great!)
Gonna be a long save but in the end she will really be able to handle the big tires in 2wd hi. Especially when i get my 27.7s instead of the 28.8s on.

Edited by tron
  • Like 1