Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gen 1 wheel question

by old wagon i meant gen 1, this is what the old thread says...

"these will fit any 4 lug subaru 1980 and up to 1994. they however will not fit on 70s subes without rubbing."

i think those will fit any big four lug subaru, the gen 1(ea71) and gen 2(ea81) wheels will not fit on the ea82 because they have different base points on the inside, but the ea82 wheels i think will fit on the ea71 and ea81 please correct me if im wrong but i think thats right, and u should be able to figure it out if u try putting on one of the wheels on the car and spin it around and see if it rubs

thats what your worrying about:banghead:unless u have it lowered u will be fine im running 14' peugeot rims on mine with 195/75/14's on my 85 brat and it only rubs a little my dad was running his peugeots on his 78 brat and they didn't rub so you will be fine as long as its not lowered, i was eyeing those rims glad you snagged them they look good my dad has a set of them with all the caps but my sister scuffed up them up so i dont want to run them on my brat but maybe after polishing for hours maybe

You may find the offset of those wheels is designed for a FWD situation. Wheels originally fitted to Gen 1 vehicles had an offset (or back spacing) more like a traditional RWD.

Stock standard EA82 steel rims (not the white spoke style) will NOT fit on a Gen 1 vehicle. You may find these alloys are the same. Really, the only way is mount them and check.

You may find the offset of those wheels is designed for a FWD situation. Wheels originally fitted to Gen 1 vehicles had an offset (or back spacing) more like a traditional RWD.

Stock standard EA82 steel rims (not the white spoke style) will NOT fit on a Gen 1 vehicle. You may find these alloys are the same. Really, the only way is mount them and check.

thanks buddy

They were a direct bolt on in the front. The rear requires a little backspacing (2 washers) and a little grinding on the trailing arm and the innner lip of the rim. This is a 2wd gen 1, but if theres a will there is a way to get them to fit a 4wd gen 1

yeah i just tried to put the front one on and it was fine with the parking brake engaged but as soon as i took it off the mechanism for the parking brake cable was barely scraping against the inner lip of the wheel. i think i can space it or maybe try to bend the arm that holds the cable for the parking brake. haven't tried the back ones yet

• 3 weeks later...

TThey don't clear in the back either but I think if I got a half inch spacer it might work. Came across these on ebay and it looks like I might not even have to drill tthem

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-WHEEL-SPACERS-1-2-FOR-FORD-DODGE-5X5-5-OR-6-LUG-TOYOTA-CHEVY-6X5-5-TRUCK-XL-/140824659359?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c9cdc59f&vxp=mtr#ht_1867wt_1397

Edited by dickdirty

• 5 months later...

I have a set of those exact wheels I am using on my 78 brat. This is what I did to make these wheels work; front wheels rubbed the parking brake mechanism, rear tires rubbed the bump stops on the suspension. I bought eight 1/4" spacers made for the 6x5.5" bolt pattern truck wheels. I was able to get away with only drilling one wheel stud hole (1/2" step bit worked great) on each spacer. Doing this now makes the spacers work for the 4x140mm bolt pattern we have on the Subaru's. On the front I am able to get away with one spacer per side and clear the parking brakes. On the rear I needed 3/8" to clear the bump stops. I went with two 1/4" spacers per side as I counldn't find eithe a 3/8" or 1/8" thick spacer. However by using the spacers longer wheel studs are needed. I used wheel studs from a Subaru Baja. The thickness of the studs where they press into the drums and hubs is the same as the brat but the Baja studs are longer than the brat studs. This gives you more threads to grab with the lug nuts that you lose if you use the original wheel studs. Also using the wheel spacers puts a lot less stress on the wheel studs than using washers to space out the wheels.