Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Forester 4EAT trans swap to 99 Imp 4EAT

Got a forester at work with a blown trans. Front diff is still good. I was thinkin about swapping the front diffs since I dont have the 99 impreza rear diff.

What ratio is the 2000 Forester Trans Part #TZ1A3AZC2AA? I know the 98 forester was a 4.44, but IIRC they went to 4.11 when they switched to the 99+ trans with the screw on filter.

The donor trans part # is TZ1A2ZAEAA out of a 99 Impreza 2 door RS. I'm paying that ones a 3.9 and ones a 4.11 so I dont have to have the tranny shop swap front pinions.

Ideas? Links to the 99+ trans ratio chart? I've got the older 4EAT chart, and all the 5 speed/6 speed/JDM/USA etc charts, but the one I've never managed to track down was the new style 4EAT chart. Thanks guys

Yeah the manual trans stuff is everywhere, hard to find final drive stuff for autos isn't it?

The impreza RS should be 4.44

I would think the same of the forester.

Subaru generally fitted all EJ25 auto's with 4.44 gears but i do recall some exceptions to that. Subaru did some odd things with final drives....

if you look on http://opposedforces.com/parts and look in the drive ''TRAIN'' section you will find the part number for the ring and pinion. it will also list the final drive ratio for the same. in the late 90s the 2.5L engine and usually indicated the 4.44 ratio for the auto trans. the ej22s had the 4.11.

once they eliminated the ej22 it becomes a little more tricky. but tire size can be an indicator as well. larger tires on the outback have the 4.44 ratio. smaller tires on the legacy L and impreza had the have the 4.11 ratios. the lego GT is an odd ball, in the 90s ant way. it has the 4.44 ratio and tires in between the L and the outback. i know the 00 - 03 GT (and outback)has the 4.44 ratio, i do not the tire size but i assume it is in between . i do not know about the impreza or the RS in the 00s.

Edited by johnceggleston

have only seen 4.44 in the newer trans no 3.9 or 4.11 yet i know there are differant stalls on the tourqe converter i phone the dealer with the trany vin to get ratios but the only for shure way is to pull the front diff and count is right every time the forester will have a 2100 stall and the impreza will have a 2800 stall the flex plate will be smaller unless was a 2.5 impreza then will be same

opposing forces is where I ended up finding the only info. I cant believe Subaru hasnt released a bulletin that decodes all the #'s on the tranny sticker. It'd be nice to know what they are when I'm at work, rather than coming home posting and having to search high and low.

Forester is getting the 4.11 diff out of a 01 5 speed Outback and I'll be done with it. Not gonna bother trying to swap out the front pinion. little bit too much work for me on a car that I dont own