Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will an MSD ignition work in an '81 suby?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zyewdall

zyewdall

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,132 posts
  • Ward, CO

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:34 PM

1981 GL, 4wd wagon, EA81 engine

MSD module is a 5200 -- came on a 1967 landrover that's going to disel so I don't need it there any more. I'm wondering if I could put it on the suby. We're talking about selling the '99 and using the '81 as the daily driver instead (finances.....one of the two has to go, and the '81 actually handles the winters up here better -- low range in the snow). So trying to get the stock '81 running as well as possible.

Z

#2 maozebong

maozebong

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • Seattle, WA

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:35 PM

yes. mcbrat has a diagram on how you wire it, but its really simple. i have one in my vehicle as well.

basically, you connect the factory coil wires to the red and white small gauge wires, and the orange and black wires to the coil. supply the unit with power and ground and you are done.

#3 Idasho

Idasho

Lost in the woods....

• Members
  • 952 posts
  • North ID

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:50 PM

Not much gain to be made, if any. All you are doing is making for a hotter spark. Thats assuming the factory coil isnt providing a hot enough spark as it is.

To get the most gain out of it, you will need to open up the gap on the plugs as well.

#4 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,753 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

I'm pretty sure that most of the MSD boxes also have a multiple-spark event, where you get several quick sparks as opposed to one from the factory system. It only works up to like 3000rpm, but could help in some cases.

#5 AppleJuz

AppleJuz

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Hamilton, New Jersey

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:37 AM

Posted Image

I'm not entirely sure if this is the right diagram that you are looking for (found it by searching for MSD products wiring diagrams)but I still posted as it "may" be of some use. at least that's what I think :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users