Ultimate Subaru Message Board

North Idaho GL

Idasho

I think we need to keep these rust free examples AWAY from the midwest :D

Everything just rusts away there.... :popcorn:

Cause nobody tries to take care of them before that happens. Had mind for almost 7yrs, hasn't really rusted any more then it had before, just the same old spots. I'm managing it pretty well.

Got a bit more done this afternoon.

The Subaru is officially down for service. Lots of stuff getting transferred from the old motor to the new. Not before being hit with bronze though :clap:

Idler bearings were also torn down and repacked with synthetic grease.

Its getting close! :cool:

ea86.jpg

Lots of assembly today, and the old motor was finally pulled. I needed the flywheel bolts :D

Got the new flywheel and clutch installed.

ea88.jpg

100% new coolant/heater/radiator hoses. Intake and carb installed. Dizzy and wires installed and timed by eye.

ea89.jpg

And Im still on the look out for a plug for the bellhousing. A forum member dropped on the mail for me (fast and cheap), but it is the wrong one.

Dont know what this one goes too... Its in great shape!

So if anyone has one, PLEASE let me know. :headbang:

ea90.jpg

5-speed swap has begun :headbang:

ea93.jpg

At least the back seat gets used for something!

ea94.jpg

bye-bye 4-speed :Flame:

ea95.jpg

Hello empty bay. :brow:

ea96.jpg

And working out trans cross-member mounts. Looks as if the ea81 mounts DO WORK, but I think Ill push to the ea82 mounts simply because they are superior. A bit of fab work to do...

ea92.jpg

4 speed mounts work just fine with the 5 speed, i had to space down the crossmember about 1/4" but it basicly bolted right in, i used all the EA82 interior stuff as well console, shifter boot, etc. there is a way to use the 4 speed stuf and keep the stock console.

let me know if you want to get rid of the 4 speed too.

Thanks for the props guys. Im enjoying this build too :headbang:

Wallaby, PM me about the trans. ;)

Might have been covered but what paint for the block/tranny please.

Engine and trans were primed with a metal etching primer and painted with Duplicolor engine paint.

Color is "Cast Coat Aluminum"

de1650_030310.jpg

All Bronze items were painted with Duplicolor wheel paint.

Color is "bronze" :-p

hwp105_050410.jpg

Valve covers and air cleaner painted using Rustoleum Painters Touch

Color is "Spa Blue"

227416901.jpg

Well, it seems that if you leave a freshly built EA81 and a dual range 5-speed together long enough they... uh... mate :popcorn:

ea97.jpg

Its starting to look like I know whats going on :D

Next up is to fill the crank case with oil and crank her over using the starter. Once the hydro-lifters are primed, I can go about double checking valve clearances, and we might see this engine go into the car... maybe.... :burnout:

• 2 weeks later...

So I was going to just clean things up on the front suspension, but I found one bad ball joint, so I attacked it full force.

Both sides were torn down. Fresh ball joints, fresh (sealed) wheel bearings (still waiting on outer seals), and everything stripped down and repainted.

ea98.jpg

Subframe got a fresh coat too. Might as well...

ea99.jpg

And since Im still waiting on wheel seals, I turned back to the motor. I installed a cheap pressure gauge to watch as I primed the oil system for the first time. Then I filled her up with some fresh oil.

ea100.jpg

This is a hydro-motor, and I shaved the heads, so I loosened the rocker arms 1-turn, then put the valve covers on.

And with the starter wired up to the battery on the bench, the motor was cranked over for the first time. After three 10-second intervals of cranking the starter, oil pressure jumped to 75PSI :headbang:

Removed the valve covers and all rockers were tight. Lifters are doing their job :cool:

ea101.jpg

NICE

clean build

I hope it does and want to know if it stays so clean, or if it develops the beginning of slow oil leaks/seepage through seals/gaskets.

I completely re-gasketed two different ea81 engines before re-installation (new valve cover g's (2), new oil pan g, crankshaft front and rear main seals).. but after installed and running again, there was already immediately oil seepage/slow leaking which stared to occur. A lot of which I just chalked up to old engine/seal designs from the 70's being not quite up to par..

Edited by TajMan

I hope it stays relatively clean too. The only cork gaskets used in this build are the valve cover gaskets. And those were coated with UltraGrey prior to installing. Felpro perma-torque headgaskets. No oil pan seal, and all other seals are Subaru. Front main, rear main, brand new oil pump, brand new water pump, etc...

It is still a Subaru though :D

Lots more done this evening. Mostly elbow-grease....

I finished adjusting the hydro valves, installed spark plugs and wires.

I got the trans wiring figured out and finished.

ea102.jpg

New Empi axles installed, and front end assembled... Just have castle nut pins to install.

ea103.jpg

The motor will be installed with the trans attached, so the car got a lift. Safe lift. I refuse to be under a car during something like a motor install using jack stands. Luckily I have a gantry crane, so I can hoist the motor very high to make it work.

ea104.jpg

And the rest of the evening was spent cleaning. Who else details fire walls???? :D

I thought this was a cool pic too.

ea105.jpg

After the firewall and tunnel were cleaned, the tunnel got a heavy coat of rubberized undercoat.

ea106.jpg

Tow hooks were cleaner and re-painted.

ea107.jpg

And with the help of a couple of buddies, it went back in. :headbang:

ea108.jpg

ea109.jpg

And to be 100% clear, the ea81 mounts did work, but I DID have to widen the holes in the subframe. Each one was widened 1/2 inch or so.

For now Ill run the ea81 mounts. If they dont hold up Ill swap to the ea82.

ea110.jpg

Thanks guys. Im getting closer with this.... lots of misc things done today. Though I was only able to get a couple of hours in. Lots of electrical work, and simple reassembly. AC compressor installed, battery installed.

Working on shift linkage. 4wd rod extended, and both the support rod and shift rod shortened by 2 1/2 inches. The goal is to make it look factory from in the cabin. No swapping consoles here.

ea111.jpg

Its close, still have some work to do. The support rod needs to be rotated to the right a few degrees to make hitting reverse easier. Then the shifter rod will be fabricated.

ea112.jpg

Speaking of reverse.... I guess I got the trans wiring correct :D

ea114.jpg

test run of the new gauge.

ea113.jpg

And started on the center support bearing mounts.

I got to here and realized that the front seats need to come out to do it right... So this where I ended for the night...

ea115.jpg