Ultimate Subaru Message Board

North Idaho GL

Idasho

Paranoid about these hydro lifters and a bit of a tick Ive been hearing, I went through and double checked my clearances. I tightened each one by another 1/4 turn.

Im probably just nuts..... but does is anyone bothered by this tick at idle?

Edited by Idasho

Its officially a 4x4 again :headbang:

Got the shortened driveline in, and was able to take her for a spin.

Had it up to 70mph and no noticeable vibrations. Certainly a newer noise from the tunnel, but that is to be expected. Lots more driveline moving in there now.

Was also able to check the 4wd and the new lower low range. One of my primary reasons for the 5-speed swap was the lower low range. And it is nice. :clap:

BIG THANKS to Andy from Spokane.

He sold me this sweet rear air foil. Its in awesome shape! :headbang:

Im trying to decide whether or not to keep it raw aluminum and polish it, or powdercoat it (black)

Either way, it installed easy enough.

Had to talk to myself a bit to drill holes in this car :Flame:

ea128.jpg

ea129.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my tick went away. Seems it was a lazy lifter, or it simply had to work itself clean and free.

The new motor has roughly 500 miles on it now. And feels REAL good. The high compression is really starting to impress me. The low end torque is fantastic, being able to pull hills in 5th at speed that before (with the 4-speed) I had to downshift into 3rd and pray it was enough.

Yesterday we did a bit of light snow wheeling, to get us to a trailhead to do some hiking with the dog. The new low range is nice :clap:

I also got the rear air foil painted satin black. It looks great.

Ill get some new pictures up sooner or later.

Having put 500 miles on it now trouble free, the car is being handed off to the wife for her winter rig. The snow is here!

Also, Im in need of a new 4wd and low range switch. I managed to break the small switch that tells the cluster when the 4wd shifter is in 4wd and low range.

It mounts inside the center console. Please let me know if you have a good used one, 'cause you have a buyer :popcorn:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1k miles on it now.

Pulled it in this evening for a compression check. I was hoping to swap over to synthetic, but it isnt quite ready yet.

140PSI on all 4 cylinders.

Rings still have some work to do to seat all the way.

Running great though :lol: Last tank I averaged 23MPG. Not bad for a motor still trying to break in. Left front e-brake cable is a bit sticky too....

The trans is getting an oil change too. Picked up 4 jugs of fully synthetic for it. Should help the cold shifting a bit. :banana:

Actually Full Synth might make the shifts even worse, you could try Red-Line NS or even Subaru Extra-S. As far as the engine goes I am not sure. I have pretty good luck with regular Dino oil in the older Subs and mixed results with full synth. Good Luck!

1k miles on it now.

Pulled it in this evening for a compression check. I was hoping to swap over to synthetic, but it isnt quite ready yet.

140PSI on all 4 cylinders.

Rings still have some work to do to seat all the way.

Running great though :lol: Last tank I averaged 23MPG. Not bad for a motor still trying to break in. Left front e-brake cable is a bit sticky too....

The trans is getting an oil change too. Picked up 4 jugs of fully synthetic for it. Should help the cold shifting a bit. :banana:

Currently the thing shifts great when warm. Its the first 10 minutes in sub-freezing temps thats tough. :horse:

I've never had a subaru that likes to shift before the transmission warms up. Shifting is always a bit sluggish, then as it warms up the shifting improves.

Good dino gear oil does help, though.

Just an update...

A bit more than 200 miles on it since the change to synthetic, and I can honestly say that is made a HUGE instant improvement.

In town MPG is up by more than 2mpg. And you can feel the car roll easier out of the garage in the morning. With the dino oil, as I backed out of the garage into the street in the morning, I barely had to use the brakes to stop the roll, before shifting into 1st to drive off.

Now it feels like it is free-wheeling with no resistance, I really have to use the brakes to stop the roll before driving off.

2nd gear shift when cold issue is 90% gone. I think the remaining issue may just be a syncro issue, or possibly linkage. Shifting fantastic though. :banana:

• 2 weeks later...

I like 'em too :D

Got her cleaned up this weekend, only to get things dirty again....

Winter is awesome here in north Idaho, but gets cars all nasty.

Luckily the worst we get on the roads is de-icer. Normally just gravel, but never salt :)

winterru.jpg

Speaking of trying to keep the crap off the car....

SuperBrat came through and found me a set of front mud flaps!!

So I tossed them on. next spring they will be removed and restored, along with the rear flaps. The text paint needs touched up.

but they look great! :banana: Dont mind the nasty road grime...

frontflaps.jpg

and I just realized that I never posted a finished pic of the rear deflector... here it is.... just painted for now. Im sure once it starts flaking Ill rip it off and have it powdercoated. But I can already tell it is doing its job. The rear window stays much cleaner.

reardeflector.jpg