Ultimate Subaru Message Board

North Idaho GL

Idasho

Oops, almost forgot...

The temp probe for the outside temp gauge was slipped through the floor boards just below the drivers door.  It is tucked away right behind the unibody seam/crease

I have found that it reads a bit high, especially when its sunny, and when driving slow.   I think the probe is feeling the radiant heat from the blacktop.

The primary reason for the gauge was for freeze "alert"   And it works great for that.  When its cold outside and roads covered with winter nastiness, it reads spot on.

Some feedback from Gannon the originator of the crossbred brake conversion as a heads up for any L series conversion using the center bearing L series prop shaft, Apparently there is a Mazda mount that works very well for the job of mounting the center bearing requiring only some reinforcing plating of the floor area inside the vehicle to give a factory fitted look when done.

Unfortunately he cannot remember which model it was found in but a quick look around a pick and pull would likely find what looks right and lines up with the Subaru mounting holes.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Small update.   A few weeks ago the digidash started complaining a bit.  The 55mph indicator would flicker, and the dash buzzer would sound.

So I parked the car until I had a chance to tear into it.

The other day I finally dig into it.  Not fun getting the cluster out without destroying things.  Funny, the book says you first have to remove the dash, and in order to do that you have to remove the windshield! 

I got the cluster out without removing either.

Anyways, I tore it all apart, cleaned it up, polished all the contacts, treated the plastic lenses and put it all back together.

Seems like it is good to go!

All working 100% now!

i took it on a good cruise this evening, and got some decent night shots of the dash.

Digital-goodness   :)

ea81digidash01.jpg

ea81digidash02.jpg

ea81digidash03.jpg

ea81digidash04.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it would seem that the car ate a front diff today.  :angry:

Seemingly out of nowhere the spider gears are making a racket.   I barely made it back up the hill to get home.  

I had to use 4wd to get up the hill.   Up on jackstands, the hubs/wheel bearings check out.  So to the axles and CVs  Both stubs are turning, but have trouble catching.

What a mess.....  Guess I need to source another 5-speed.  At least now that the retrofit has been done I simply need to swap it out with a good working trans.

The car will sit for a while.  

Im grabbing a bottle of wine.  

• 3 months later...

Well, finally have a chance to update this.

The subaru has been parked since April.  I simply could not get it into the shop to replace the defective trans.

This is what was occupying the shop for the past 2 years or so....

And a month or so ago it was finally done enough to drag out of the shop.

My custom camper.  Code name, IDACAMPER2.0   B)

chassis238.jpg

chassis258.jpg

Now, down to business.

I sourced a junkyard 5-speed D/R.  Gave it fresh wheel seals, and output shaft seal, a bit of paint, and swapped it in.

ea141.jpg

Then, I started to address a MUCH needed spot of rust on a lower 1/4 panel.

Just keep digging until there isnt any more rust....   :o

ea142.jpg

ea143.jpg

More to come....